In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1garganta femininegaznate masculine informal→ stick
- When you swallow, it can feel as though food is stuck in your gullet, as the muscles of the oesophagus try to push it past the tumour.
- These drugs reduce the production of stomach acid to allow the inflamed gullet to heal.
- He died suddenly in Bradford Royal Infirmary from ulcers in his gullet, which links the throat to the stomach.
- The 13-month-old toddler had swallowed a tiny, disc shaped camera battery that damaged his gullet and perforated his windpipe.
- But how can we stem the flood of fatty foods into our gullets?
- Contact may be with your skin, or with the lining of your lungs, mouth, gullet, stomach or intestine.
- The tam is thought to have evolved to survive passage through the gullet of the island's biggest, flightless bird, the dodo.
- PDT can also be used internally on the gullet, lungs, bladder, bile duct, brain and eyes, usually through an endoscope or intravenous methods.
- The acid damages cells lining the oesophagus, also known as the food pipe or gullet, which can later become cancerous.
- The reason for heartburn is a malfunction in the valve-like mechanism found at the junction of the gullet and the stomach.
- The natural swallowing action helps the endoscope pass into the gullet and down towards the stomach.
- Heartburn happens when this acid flows upwards into the gullet (oesophagus).
- The corrosive chemicals are irritating to the delicate lining of the gullet.
- If the tumour is blocking part of your stomach or gullet, bypass surgery may be an option.
- So, with the latter, the wizardry of special effects allows us to whoosh down gullets and cascade through neural networks.
- Instead, the acid irritates the lining of the gullet, causing the burning pain.
- Stomach acid that is repeatedly regurgitated can damage the lining of the gullet.
- The oesophagus is the medical name for the gullet.
- It's the gullet or oesophagus, the corridor passing from the mouth to the stomach.
- The eldest then poured her food into her gullet and headed for PS shouting muffled answers to my enquiries about her day.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.