In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1disparos masculinemasculine cañoneomasculine cañonazos
- It was not known if the governor was wounded by gunfire from the assailant or from shots fired afterward.
- Gunmen have killed two American soldiers and injured four others in the latest wave of gunfire and explosions.
- A handful of poll centres were targets of mortar rounds and there were two reports of gunfire.
- His sidekick dies in a storm of gunfire while the don and his aide's wife are critically wounded.
- The gunfire was the latest of a series of attacks amid an underworld war for contracted volumes of drugs.
- Sporadic gunfire could be heard and only pockets of resistance remained, according to the US.
- Fires continue to belch smoke over the city and sporadic gunfire echoes through the flooded streets.
- She said the deceased and herself were crossing the road when gunfire broke out suddenly as a car drove by.
- For the next two hours the sound of gunfire and explosions rang out.
- Yesterday there were sporadic exchanges of gunfire and a tank firing shells in the city.
- Evacuation attempts were disrupted by gunfire and armed looters ruled the streets.
- With numb feet, aching limbs and the crack of gunfire ringing in our ears, a few hundred metres more seemed like a long way.
- As the trumpeter sounded the gallop, the mounted squadrons faced devastating volleys of gunfire.
- We paddled on in tense silence, waiting for more gunfire or perhaps the twang of a banjo, but they were not interested in us.
- I could spot the enemy ships on the horizon, but only momentarily as they emerged from the screen of gunfire and smoke.
- Every few hours a patrol of armoured vehicles clanks down empty streets and there is an occasional crackle of gunfire.
- He woke suddenly to shouted commands, drumming horses' hoofbeats, gunfire and screaming.
- The Palestinian hospital sources said the man had been killed by random gunfire.
- Two hundred workers were injured and several killed by police gunfire.
- Tens of thousands of people have flocked to the city, desperate to escape the mortar and gunfire.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.