In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pistolero masculinegatillero masculine Mexicoterrorist gunmen — terroristas armados masculine
- Meanwhile a masked gunman is making his way towards the scene, but is he coming to help Bonnie or not?
- Over time, these not so good areas have also given rise to thieves and gunmen.
- Police were last night hunting two gunmen who murdered a man in a hail of automatic fire in a quiet market town.
- The landlord, two doormen and a customer were shot when a masked gunman suddenly opened fire in a pub, a jury heard.
- The gunman's accomplice carried on with the raid, smashing a glass security shield and taking cash.
- Masked gunmen left two shop workers terrified after they raided a Pinehurst fast-food outlet.
- Police are still hunting the gunmen who murdered the two girls, innocent victims of a feud between two rival gangs.
- The chase ended with a crash as the car carrying the gunman and his accomplice left the road.
- Police are appealing for two men who might have seen a teacher shot by masked gunmen to come forward to help with their investigation.
- The gunman and his accomplices then got back in the vehicle and drove off down Milkstone Road.
- Masked gunmen roamed the streets, setting police cars on fire and controlling some bridges.
- A reluctant bank raid hero told how he thought he was going to die when he grappled with a masked gunman.
- In this case, the fear in turn was created by the masked gunman who screamed at her and shot at her.
- The robbery came just a month after a masked gunman forced his way into the same store and threatened staff.
- Last week, gunmen kidnapped and then freed a British journalist in the southern city of Basra.
- It emerged last night that one of the gunmen was a terrorist known to the Saudi authorities.
- Why else would a group of masked gunmen attack a Christmas party in my hometown?
- The accomplice of a gunman who shot a man dead in a pub may be in fear for his life, police said.
- On opening the door and seeing the masked gunman, the veteran television cameraman immediately pulled it shut.
- He was also suspected of hiring the same gunman to murder his former girlfriend, but the attempt on her life failed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.