In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pólvora femininebefore noun the Gunpowder Plot — la Conspiración de la Pólvora
- Undercover officers rushed in only to find talcum powder and not gunpowder on the agenda.
- Gunpowder is a mixture of saltpetre, charcoal, and sulphur, and early gunpowder was just that: a powder.
- Just as castle walls gave way to gunpowder and the cannon, so too will present technology give way to new ideas and new tools of war.
- But the mere possession of a lot of cannon and gunpowder, or air-to-surface missiles, is not enough.
- The shells contain silver iodide, explosives and gunpowder.
- There was wax, matches, a long fuse, gunpowder and 20 bullets packed around a quarter stick of dynamite.
- Early grenades were like cartoon bombs: an iron sphere packed with gunpowder and a fuse sticking out of the top.
- It was also used in the past to produce charcoal for gunpowder.
- Cannons, guns, gunpowder, swords and many other weapons of war were needed and Spain bought them from whoever would sell to them.
- The youngest sailors would also have had a ‘fireman’ role, damping down loose gunpowder to prevent explosions.
- As her daughter tripped on a mop and dropped a box of glass dishes, the burnt end of that fuse collided with the gunpowder.
- In the early days of quarrying, one-foot holes were made and whole kegs of gunpowder used in blasting.
- That way the hard barrel compresses the relatively soft metal of the bullet as the exploding gunpowder hurls the projectile down the barrel.
- Charcoal was also essential for the manufacture of gunpowder.
- Propellants such as gunpowder are so-called low explosives that burn but do not normally detonate.
- The cellar was searched and, hidden amid the large quantity of firewood stored there, 36 barrels of gunpowder were found, along with fuses.
- This incident was particularly severe because of the huge amount of gunpowder in the firework.
- Prior to its first military uses, gunpowder was termed black powder.
- He has a musket, bullets, gunpowder, carpentry tools, clothes, bedding and a Bible.
- The group said it will begin tests in May using land mines without gunpowder.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.