In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(wind) racheado(day/weather) ventoso
- Accuracy testing was complicated by the heavy trigger pull, substantial recoil and a strong, gusty wind blowing from right to left.
- As summer fades into memory and gusty autumn winds dissuade all but the keenest from picking up a racket, why not improve your game in warmer climes?
- So watch for those gusty winds and some heavy downpours as well.
- The winds are notoriously gusty and unpredictable on Uluru, and the local helicopter services provide us with continual updates so that we can make quality assessments.
- The month got off to a cold and gusty start as strong winds battered the Swindon area.
- The heavy downpours, which began around 4 am yesterday, were accompanied by gusty winds, thunder and lightning.
- On one occasion in early September, I witnessed drooping of the leaves when a sudden summer shower with gusty winds and a brief, but heavy downpour occurred.
- By studying clouds you can often tell which direction the winds at that particular level are blowing from and you can tell whether they are gusty or steady winds.
- Late on the morning of 8 February 1983 a strong, but dry, cold front began crossing Victoria, preceded by hot, gusty northerly winds.
- The Category 3 hurricane blew ashore near San Fernando, Mexico, bringing heavy wind and gusty winds to south Texas.
- The Namibian coast experienced abnormally cold weather conditions the past three months with strong winds, gusty seas and out of season thunderstorms over the central and southern coast.
- Friday night's gusty winds blew on through Saturday and matured into a full-blown storm as Britain slept last night - or rather, as Britain tried to sleep.
- The wind was gusty yesterday, kicking up a lot of dust.
- Tudor felt that being the lightest of the four finalists was more of a disadvantage if anything, given the gusty off-shore wind that was blowing.
- Strong gusty winds made for exciting racing in the third race of the Killington Sailing Association's winter series.
- Yesterday it was gusty, today it blew all the time.
- The wind on the ground was gusty and blowing in excess of 25 mph.
- It is a video of an empty plastic bag dancing in the street, blown here and there by the gusty winds of an approaching storm.
- Ten long months of organisation have gone into the three-day festival and there was disappointment when Saturday's gusty winds forced the big parade inside.
- Except when I was there the mistral - a heavy, gusty wind - blew five days running.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.