In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The money is needed for repairs to the roof, high-level stonework renovation and the replacement of vital guttering.
- When cleaning the guttering of a bungalow, always place one's stepladders at right angles to the exterior walls.
- Building A has no glazing or guttering, no ground floor or access to the first floor, no service fittings or internal finishes.
- It went up in flames very quickly, causing great damage to the front door and the guttering above, also causing a lot of smoke and flame damage to the front of the house.
- The guttering to the front and rear roof slopes is blocked and leaking to joints and requires clearing and an overhaul.
- And, within the past few weeks, the council has spent more money on giving the home, along with others nearby, new guttering and pointing.
- Check guttering to ensure it is free of moss and leaves.
- Check the condition of the gutters and, for replacement, use good quality cast iron or cast aluminium guttering and downpipes.
- A length of wooden guttering ran along the front, with a downspout at the end for disposing of rainwater.
- He's a big lad, he can clean out your guttering without standing on a ladder
- But if you're climbing up a ladder to get to your guttering make sure you take care, and get somebody to hold the ladder for you.
- Architectural fragments including stone guttering remain in the modern cemetery.
- At this time of year, insurers advise checking roofs for loose tiles and guttering, as well as making sure any overhanging trees are in a healthy condition.
- The resulting blaze almost destroyed the armour-plated double delivery doors to the building, as well as damaging windows and guttering.
- An investigation has been launched after cast iron guttering fell from a building and struck a passer-by.
- She was aware that her neighbour had previously been conned by callers who had replaced guttering and some of the roughcast on her bungalow walls.
- The lightning strike blew a crater in Margaret's front yard, cracking brickwork, smashing windows, melting guttering and water pipes and blowing up her hot water system.
- In the past year, lights have been ripped from their fixings, the security system has been targeted and guttering hauled from the roof.
- Then the fine tuning of the components takes place, such as guttering for rain and snow protection.
- Work has begun on re-slating, rebuilding chimney stacks, clearing guttering, sand-blasting, rendering and pointing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.