In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1jefe informalpatrón Southern Cone informal
- The guv frequently chats up his ambitious plan to reinvent the commonwealth as a national - even global - leader in clean energy.
- It's as simple as that, guv - no engineering work required!
- No, guv, it musta been some other cat wot done it.
- The perpetrators - civil servants, architects, contractors, the Scottish Executive and the ‘Corporate Body’ are all saying: ‘sorry guv - I just work here’.
- The problem is that this panel has apparently insisted that the guv should guarantee the safety of traditional and organic farming methods and compensate those farmers in the event of contamination.
- The guv was forced to hold a press conference, at which he explained that the whole thing was ‘totally coincidental.’
- Unless, of course, it's talking about buying the services of a lumpen eared crew in a white transit so as you can really boss it about your manor, guv.
- She said that Wilcox, of no fixed address, told the officer: ‘Sorry, guv.’
- One such, who is nicknamed by his former friends as Terrible Terry, took to pestering strangers on the beach with the phrase, ‘Excuse me, guv, could you help out a fellow countryman who has fallen on hard times?’
- I was only trying to protect my shareholders, guv!
- I'd shopped and I wrapped all my gifts full of love for our five picky teens, the black Lab and the guv.
- I replied, ‘Don't ask me guv, I'm trying to lose weight myself.’
- ‘Sorry guv,’ came the reply, ‘all my fancy wrapping materials are in my store up by the Strand and I can't leave the barrow.’
- As he says: ‘You wouldn't want to find yourself in the shower with one, would you, guv?’
- He shrugs off the incessant scrutiny, and says: ‘Not me, guv.’
- No strings, guv, honest - they won't cost you a bean.
- He pines for the old mythology of a clean, civilised Rome - no unwashed masses here, guv - no matter how preposterous it is in light of the evidence.
- I don't expect to see an article quoting the queen as saying, ‘Wotcher say 'bout that then, eh, guv?’
- Spare any chord change for a cuppa, guv?
- I didn't jinx the football results with my rant yesterday, honest, guv!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.