In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(man)tipo masculine informaltío masculine Spain informalchavo masculine Mexico informalhe's a nice guy — es un tío majo Spain informal
- my/her guy — (boyfriend) mi/su pololo
- When will these guys realize that he has never fought a campaign where he has had to appeal to the middle?
- He's a nice guy, a regular Joe who thinks that he's fighting the good fight.
- Lead by James, this band of brothers will do anything to put a stop to these bad guys - even if it means going to war!
- If you have not yet seen these guys live, it will give you an idea of how incredible they are on stage.
- With a roster of tough guys who have some scoring touch, you should have a good team to compete.
- Everyone agreed this was a good idea, even the guys in the air department.
- So, the idea is to break this connection, and let guys like this move on.
- If you listen and you read his book about soft power, it is ridiculed by these guys.
- I've never liked the guy.
- That way their hinders are covered if they don't manage to stop the bad guys in time.
- He becomes two men, a nice guy by day and a ruthless killer by night, living in both high society and the gutter while wooing two women.
- I met a guy who was doing production work on the set..
- Moments later, he realized, those guys are not going to make it out of this.
- Sure this movie is three years old, but it feels like I haven't seen this guy for a half a millennium.
- It's like he refuses to grow up, but he really is a smart guy.
- We must be able to look in the mirror and realize that indeed we are the good guys here.
- But basically, there is this idea that you guys are out doing your job and you're there to help them.
- He is a charmer and a funny guy and he is not shy about expressing his feelings.
- It is then that I realize that the other guys are walking out of the hotel; damn I am really out of it today!
- These pictures are supposed to make you want to hire this guy to do design work or printing for you.
- I'm a smart guy who has been using technology all my life, so I can follow along pretty well.
- A band of young guys arrived to take a picture of the cafe.
- They shot back in Vietnam for twelve years, until we finally got sick of the whole mess and let the bad guys take over.
- In short, you know these guys rock, so stop mucking about and go buy.
- The trophy couldn't have gone to a nicer guy, whose enthusiasm hasn't waned despite his advancing years.
- He claims they don't have the courage to go after the really tough guys they need to do battle with.
- These guys have to learn to stop their bellyaching, and trust the American public.
- Here was a friend, just a regular guy who liked a drink, was a hit with the girls, and had a successful business.
- I work with a bunch of peculiar, eccentric guys who have a lot of really strange ideas.
- I want you to meet my friend from Stockholm, he's great guy.
- The idea is, guys who appear to be winning don't get that kind of advice.
- While the young guys wanted a strike, the older ones opposed it, and I hated conflict.
- He's a gruff, funny guy who knows exactly how to deliver the hokey, disjointed dialogue.
- These guys have been playing together their whole lives, and it shows in their musical ability.
- Nobody can stop the bad guys of the world getting guns.
- Brendan can be such a smart guy, reading between the lines and all.
- If you're an amateur musician, when you play with those guys, you realize you're an amateur.
- He's a great guy, a phenomenal player, and he's energized us.
- Of course guys from an oil company are going to ridicule that, as they already have.
- Recently I had a 4 month long relationship with a great guy.
1.2guys pluralUS (people)gente femininesay hi to all the guys at work — saluda a toda la gente del trabajo
- do you guys want breakfast? — ¿queréis desayunar?
efigie de Guy Fawkes que se quema en una hoguera en conmemoración de la Conspiración de la Pólvora
- The film subtly guys the whole genre, with the Inspector frequently proved wrong and even partly responsible for the last death.
- Why, you're guying me, you little wretch!
1→ guy rope
- Tyson suddenly got angry and stood up quickly, tackling the unknown guy to the ground.
- A guy rope had come loose and it was at the mercy of the wind.
- The candid, skittish drums and guitar spirals of the powerful ‘Overleaf’ are tethered to the guy rope of acoustic strum and would seem hindered were the guitar foundations linear rather than textural.
- Judges are looking for taught guy ropes and all tent pegs where they should be, otherwise time penalties are imposed.
- Matthews held the guy rope and gave him some play as he walked down the ships side to the final hole.
- We covered up the skidoos with their nylon covers and secured them by anchoring them with tent pegs and guy ropes.
- I suppose I could put a guy rope on him but why should I?
- The weakest point in this guy rope setup is the cam on the ascender.
- For a few seconds I eyed the guy rope: it'd be so easy to cut it, float away over another world.
- There were big deals just beyond me, zooming in then out then in again in a mad giddy rush while I let a guy rope down from the scaffolding I'd constructed as a kind of house.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.