In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1informal(swindle)estafa femininetimo masculine informalafano masculine River Plate slang
1informal(swindle)estafartimartransar Mexico informalto gyp sb out of sth
- they gypped him out of his savings — lo embaucaron y le quitaron los ahorros
- My goodness but my joints are giving me gip today!
- ‘If I slightly twist the leg or I stand on a stone then it can give me gip,’ she said.
- We'd just spent four hours traipsing around Taunton and, despite two stops for coffee and several rests, my back and legs were giving me gyp.
- Running as if in diving boots, his back looked stiff and his shoulder appeared to be giving him gyp.
- But I have arthritis, doctor, which has been giving me gyp for about a decade.
- Which is a bit of a gyp, since * they * are the ones who put that spare tire there!
- The boys simply praise their companions' qualities and unsentimentally lament their death, which in their cosmology was mainly just a big gyp.
- That also means I never actually turned into a four-foot dragon, which is kind of a gyp.
- But to have a machete-wielding wild woman and a baseball bat-brandishing hero and to never once get a good look at their handiwork seems like a colossal gyp.
- I'm a bit miffed because weblogging has done absolutely nothing for my sex life - what a gyp.
1Britishinformal(pain, trouble)my back's been giving me gyp — la espalda me ha estado fastidiando / jorobando informal
- my parents will give me gyp if I don't tidy my room — mis padres me echarán una bronca si no ordeno mi cuarto
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.