In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
(horse for riding)caballo de silla masculine
- As the hackney rolled forth the meaning of Caroline's answer registered in Charlotte's mind.
- People in the country should get hackneys or taxis or even better, use a designated driver.
- Over the same period, the number of hackneys has fallen from more than 3,650 to less than 1,260.
- He said the only problem taxi drivers had with the proposed new code was the proposal that all taxis, hackneys and limousines be fitted with a front passenger swivel seat to facilitate entry and exit for people with reduced mobility.
- You'd feel for all the other taxi drivers and hackneys, particularly those working at night.
2also hackney cab
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.