In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The weather has been good and the vessels have had catches of whiting haddock, monkfish, and plaice.
- For culinary purposes, the haddock and the cod are close competitors.
- Remove the skin from the smoked haddock and place the fish in a lightly buttered baking dish.
- Every year, more than half the cod and haddock in the North Sea were being caught.
- Poach the haddock in the milk for five minutes, drain and flake, removing any bones.
- Under the proposed regime, boats cannot fish in the haddock zone and cod restricted zone on the same trip.
- This will mean an influx of cod, haddock, and other cultivated fish to European waters.
- Instead of cod, haddock and herring, you could pick up seahorses, red snappers, and leatherback turtles.
- They also know nothing about fishing - they think the haddock for their fish suppers comes out of the North Sea already battered.
- But the threat of a ban on fishing for cod, whiting and haddock brings home the stark reality.
- My huge bowl contained large, moist chunks of tangy smoked haddock and other white fish in a delicious creamy sauce.
- Experts warn that continued intensive fishing would mean stocks of cod as well as other popular fish like hake and haddock might never recover.
- Top with the smoked haddock, scatter with spring onions, add a spoonful of the sauce and serve.
- Cut the eel, monkfish, haddock or whatever into large chunks, much longer and fatter than you could eat in one go.
- The fish - mainly haddock, cod, whiting and flatfish - are usually dead by the time they are returned to the water.
- But if you can't find the best cod, then use chunky hake, haddock or sea bass fillets instead.
- Main species on the market were haddock and cod, which were met with a good demand on a market that had been short of fish for a lengthy period.
- Further plans are in the pipeline for stocks including southern hake, sole, haddock and Norway lobster.
- I started with a smoked haddock and spinach quiche, with a roast scallop, and lemon dressing.
- Our haddock comes straight from Scarborough, we pick the best haddock we can get.
2Cookingabadejo masculinesmoked haddock — abadejo ahumado
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.