In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1haiku masculinehaikai masculine
- I particularly like the clatter of wind through bamboo she evokes in the fifth haiku.
- Just remember the golden rule of haiku: five syllables, seven syllables, five syllables.
- It tastes of deepening autumn and makes me long for one or two haiku [seventeen-syllable Japanese poems to capture the feeling.
- But didn't the Japanese perfect this several thousand years ago with their haiku poems?
- There are varied poetic forms, including narratives, jazz poems, slam poems, sestina, haiku, couplets and sonnets.
- Of course, we're not sticking religiously to the Japanese haiku rule which states that the composition must contain at least one seasonal reference.
- In class they warmed up with haiku written outside in the garden (it was a hot evening).
- Like sonnets and haikus, text poems have to obey formal constraints - namely, they must be less than 160 characters.
- As you know, a haiku is a very short Japanese poem composed following certain specific rules.
- Many Japanese haiku were written as one-line poems (written vertically).
- It's like writing haikus - it's such an exact and disciplined form.
- While I had taught the simple five-seven-five syllable poems in my classroom for years, I was unaware of what it really meant to write haiku.
- There are several specific and essential qualities that make a poem a haiku.
- It's the same kind of aesthetic that goes for sonnets or haikus.
- He likened text message poetry to haikus, the ancient Japanese art of writing three-line poems.
- I know it is not as sublime as a haiku or a sonnet… in fact it is not sublime at all.
- This haiku (a 17 syllable epigrammatic verse) by one of Japan's greatest poets seems at first glance to have little to it.
- The poems and haiku section is particularly priceless.
- The image has the swiftness of haiku, with its undetermined but focused looking.
- They also mention how kamikaze pilots would write haiku before their final mission.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.