In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Ask your fishmonger what is best for grilling at this time of year - some suggestions are salmon, haddock, tuna, trout, hake, cod.
- But what about a bigger selection of cheaper, often neglected but worthwhile fish such as skate, squid, hake, ultra-fresh mackerel, even good old herring?
- Not only will the cuts apply to cod but will apply also to associated species such as whiting, haddock, sole, saithe, monk, plaice, prawns, hake and megrim.
- Experts warn that continued intensive fishing would mean stocks of cod as well as other popular fish like hake and haddock might never recover.
- The only other fish with three distinct dorsal fins are hakes and cods.
- Experts want a total ban on cod, whiting and hake fishing in the Irish Sea, a measure that would affect about a fifth of the Irish fishing industry.
- The main catches have been monk, megs, hake whiting and haddock.
- Other species to be avoided include hake, monkfish, halibut, skate, blue ling, sea bass and shark because they are all threatened species, the guide says.
- But if you can't find the best cod, then use chunky hake, haddock or sea bass fillets instead.
- The hake industry is, commercially, the most valuable fishing industry in Namibia.
- The bulletin said the contraction during the fourth quarter was reflected in the species such as demersal hake, horse mackerel and rock lobster.
- Some of the fish should be firm-fleshed and gelatinous like halibut, eel, and winter flounder, and some tender and flaky like hake, baby cod, small pollock, and lemon sole.
- The latest hamper included fresh turbot, hake and cod from Aberdeen Fish Market as well as Arbroath Smokies, smoked salmon and kippers.
- The main species harvested are hake, horse mackerel and pilchard, whilst other species such as monk, anchovy, tuna and sole also contribute to this sector.
- The bulk of the diet of large congers is made up of small fish, from cod and hake in deep water to mackerel and herring in shallow water.
- It is only found in the muscles of amphibians and many fish species such as hake, yellowtail and pilchard.
- Cod, hake, whiting, mackerel and skate as well as shellfish were pulled from the sea.
- Fish such as hake, cod, tuna, swordfish, sole and sea bass could be on-grown by a ship restocking Spanish waters according to those behind the project.
- The name, originally a German word, was a general one for any dried white fish, most often cod, but also pollack, whiting, hake, and others.
- Except for the poor appearance of the very valuable demersal species, hake, monk, kingklip and sole, the vessels also experience a lot of trouble with the ever-growing number of seals in Namibian waters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.