In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hermanastro masculinemedio hermano masculine
- Morris stayed in Europe until 1799, earning the money that would enable him to buy the Morris estate from his half-brothers.
- Jack also discovered he has five half-brothers and sisters as Daniels, who died 16 years ago, had married three times.
- I was actually put back in touch with my two long-lost half-brothers because of all this.
- It's a little tricky when you're talking about your parents because I have half-sisters and half-brothers.
- He had a younger brother who was my age, three half-sisters, two half-brothers, a step-sister, and a step-brother, and Walker was two years older than me.
- The author of this book, the only child of this marriage, is thus fifty years younger than his two half-brothers.
- Both parents had children from previous relationships - which Bruno seems rather vague about - and he had two half-sisters and two half-brothers as well as his full sister.
- I have half-brothers and half-sisters from my parents' previous marriages, and they're all much older than me.
- He had two half-brothers and two half-sisters, all of whom remained on the mainland when his parents left for Hong Kong.
- He remarried and I found out I had four half-sisters and five half-brothers and countless aunts and uncles.
- Jean had a brother and two half-brothers, really big guys who were our ‘comprehensive insurance policy’ in the neighbourhood.
- Our family's riddled with divorce and I have seven brothers or half-brothers and mum raised us pretty much singled-handed.
- So Christina found out that her cousin, to whom she has always been close, is really her half-brother.
- Down the line, it may be helpful for them to meet, especially if there are half-brothers and sisters involved.
- I can at least say that I have 2 half-brothers I can be proud of.
- My dad's first wife and my half-brothers are here visiting from Jamaica, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.
- My two sons who live in Bury, Barry's half-brothers, are devastated by his death.
- By the time I was 18, the family, which now included my two half-brothers, Alexander and Patrick, had lived in 18 houses.
- One of my half-brothers called to see if I was all right.
- She added: ‘And with regard to my two boys, it shows that they are not just half-brothers but brothers.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.