In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1de medio cuerpoa half-length portrait — un retrato de medio cuerpo
- Other highlights from the collection include a half-length cast bronze bust of George Bernard Shaw by Prince Paul Troubetskoy, signed and dated 1908.
- Most of his 60 or so known paintings, mainly half-length portraits, date from 1642-6 after he had moved with Charles I's Civil War court to Oxford.
- Sari-clad women move behind, like a frieze, one with her back turned, just below a painted half-length figure.
- The most visually startling images were two half-length portraits from her ‘Bodybuilders’ series.
- Caravaggio returns to the half-length format of his early genre scenes, but all naturalistic bravura and illusionistic detail are gone.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.