In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Cookingmasculine jamón (crudo)masculine jamón serrano Spainmasculine jamón (cocido)masculine jamón (de) York Spainham and eggs — huevos con jamón masculine
- fresh ham — pierna de cerdo
- Why stop with just one meat when you can drown a pizza in pepperoni, sausage, ham, bacon, beef, and pork toppings?
- Leeks, caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese, Belgian ham, and cherry beer reductions are hints of home for Wiedmaier.
- He rolls out lasagne sheets using a broom handle, and creates a ragu with minced meat and tomatoes, creamy béchamel sauce, cooked ham, Parmesan and mozzarella.
- On the inside is the traditional ham and pork and pickles and maybe a little mustard.
- The pigs are getting all these roots and nuts, that's how they keep them in Italy and Spain, and that's how they get some of the best ham and bacon - it changes the flavour of the meat.
- Today, use such cured meats as ham, prosciutto, bacon, and pancetta for the hints of salt, nuts, and spice that curing imparts.
- Try salty, spicy or smoked meats, such as ham, sausage, cold cuts or wieners.
- Other suspects are roast beef, ham, salami sticks, chicken legs and unpasteurised milk.
- This includes luncheon meats and smoked ham which are cured or contain preservatives.
- I made this salad using the leftover ham and parsley I had on hand, and threw in some toasted hazelnuts for the added crunch and nuttiness.
- Next day they can make their own salad plates with slices of salami, ham, sticks of cheese or hard-boiled eggs.
- Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.
- They included Stilton cheese, oven-ready chicken, cooked ham, pork pies, yoghurt and pasta salad.
- He missed real bacon, English sausages, home-cured ham and top quality pork pies and decided to do something about it.
- Aging seafood, he reports, is covered with a cream sauce and served over pasta; bits of ham and cooked vegetables are folded into omelets.
- Serve with salad, gherkins and cold sliced cured meats and ham.
- To be honest, the great bird, the roast ham and the sausage rolls have been a millstone round this cook's neck for longer than he cares to remember.
- The first thing out of the kitchen was a nice charcuterie platter decked with smoky pork rillettes and ribbons of fresh ham and prosciutto.
- The Fords salt their own ham, make their own sausages and 17 different kinds of pie, including the most delicious pork pie I have ever tasted.
- Sausages, smoked bacon, even ham appear in some recipes, but such variations, reflecting local produce, are within the accepted framework.
informal(thighs and buttocks)ancas feminine informalto squat on one's hams — ponerse en cuclillas
- Contract your glutes, hams and quads of the front leg to initiate the movement; the back leg should tense only for balance.
- Deadlifts will carve detail into not just your lower back, but your glutes and hams as well, resulting in back poses that are far more striking than those of someone who ignores this vital exercise.
- By using dumbbells and with a slight foot adjustment, your hams and glutes will reap the benefits of isolation.
- He trained his hams and glutes twice a week, but rather than pounding them with the heavy basic movements he had used to build them up, he shaped them by going a touch lighter with more isolation movements.
- Jog back down, then head back up, pumping your arms and pushing through your hams and glutes.
- I'll take it down so my knees are at 90-degree angles, then press up through my heels while squeezing my glutes and hams.
- Going stiff-legged will hit mainly the glutes and hams, and the lower back to some degree.
- By doing a partial movement, I concentrate on the lumbar region and keep my glutes and hams from assisting.
- When you begin to feel a stretch through your hamstrings, focus on using your glutes and hams to rise back up to the start position.
- Done on a roman chair or back-extension bench, this variation will bring focus to your hams and glutes rather than just your low back.
- You can also do romanian deadlifts, which focus on your hams, glutes and lower back.
- On occasion, train hamstrings before quadriceps to hit hams when you're at your strongest and to pre-exhaust them before compound quad lifts such as leg presses.
- Highlights were arms, chest and hams with standout poses being side chest (full length, a view that captures separated hamstrings) and back double biceps.
- Try a variety of stretches to hit your glutes, hams, quads and adductors.
- On the other hand, his glutes and hams have never been as shredded.
- When you perform these correctly and under control, you can really feel the hams and glutes working.
- Performing curls while seated hits the inner hams and adductors for the most part.
- This low rep range is essential to developing the hams and glutes at the expense of unwanted bodyfat.
- Walking lunges are excellent for sculpting your glutes, hams, quads and adductor muscles, but finding an open path in the gym can be a problem.
- Alves' plan for his first Olympia was to be bigger and harder with more detail in his hams and glutes and, of course, to finish in the top 10.
1.1feminine comediantemasculine pamplinerofeminine pamplinera
- This guy is simply the biggest ham in Quebec theatre, and the longer he is allowed to perform a role, the more egregious he gets.
- Even Kenny Mayne, a favorite ESPN ham, seems miscast reading an obit.
- So there you have it, I'm a ham who likes to see his name in print.
- Like Liberace, another small-screen icon who was almost as much of a ham, Holmes got his mum on the show.
- ‘He's such a ham,’ said Allen after her clean show jumping round that clinched the win.
- He's a ham actor wearing caricature expressions: petulance, fury, arrogance, dismay.
- He's just one in a long line of ham actors who turn soccer into a joke.
- Now he appears like a ham actor who is starting to believe his press agent.
- Picasso's the genius in question, and thankfully he's a big ham.
- Caine is O'Malley, an ageing ham actor playing Richard III in an absurd Nazi-era staging.
- But he was, if nothing else, an exceptional ham actor and the truth never stood in his way.
- The hero, Rajesh Khanna, became a terrible ham, but he was very beautiful in his heyday, as was his co-star, Sharmila Tagore.
- They are peachy roles, and have been given to many ham actors to shine in: but David is a master, and brings to his Polonius what one imagines is a perfect expression of the intention behind the part.
- Jalen Rose is the star, and it turns out he is quite a ham.
- So here I am, writing a weblog and I feel like the cliched ham actor - ‘What's my motivation here?’
- Both are, in their different ways, ham actors, loving the big stage, loving the need to rise to an occasion, loving a desperate situation because of their relish for a fight.
- In the past, Argento's films have been filled with all manner of actors - from the ham to the hampered.
- He's a ham - lawyer, feeding off the trouble people get themselves into.
- With a less than brilliant director, ham actors and a meddlesome newcomer, will it ever reach opening night?
- They can be prima donnas, ham actors, even cheats (Brazil's Rivaldo, on his day, is all three).
actor extravagantemente histriónico
1.2(overacting)histrionismo exagerado masculine
- The acting was pure ham, but then it is in every kids or ‘family’ film.
- The Italian for salami is salame; that for ham might as well be Salome, at least in this reading.
- The script of sand and fog is more like it, not to mention the acting of ham and funny accents.
- He is as diabolic as he is over-the-top - call it deviled ham.
- The child scenes had enough ham to provide nutritious fillings for a national school trip's worth of sandwiches.
- In rehearsals it came across really well, but during filming it was stilted, it was bad, it was really ham.
- Fugard the actor is determined to turn his country singlehandedly into a chief exporter of ham.
- The characters are unengaging, the actors never called upon to produce anything beyond pure ham (although they do it charmingly enough).
- We who are uninitiated in Morecambe and Wise may find the new duo more ham than wise, although still intermittently funny.
- Bowles' Roat is all ham, but at least he adds some mustard to an otherwise tasteless sauce.
2informal(radio operator)radioaficionado masculineradioaficionada feminine
- Each child, in turn, sits in front of a microphone beside a ham operator who broadcasts a call to the North Pole.
- In fact, there's a ham network and an emergency ham network in New York City.
- ZDNet's technical editor in Europe, Rupert Goodwins, is a genuine, no-nonsense radio expert; radio ham licence, several hardware designs to his credit.
- The first radio amateurs, or hams, devoted much of their time in the 1910s to monitoring naval communications, as there was often little else to hear.
- Many radio enthusiasts emailed from the United States, having read the story online, after Vodaphone said the problem may be caused by amateur radio hams.
- So if I become a radio ham, then I can talk to the people from various parts of the world.
- Marshall's knowledge of wireless technology, given his years as a ham radio operator, helped pique his curiosity.
- There are the occasional journeys into the belly of the spaceship, which looks like a lonely ham radio operator's Tandy designed bedroom.
- Mr Ogg was a member of the exclusive International Correspondence of Corkscrew Addicts, an enthusiastic radio ham and a painter.
- He used a local radio ham called Roy Evans in a tiny radio shack in Great Bends to keep in touch.
- This paper presents an account of one radio ham, William G. Broughton.
- Look for a local ham operator to get very busy as phone lines jam for days and weeks to come.
- A radio ham from way back, Addis says that he simply progressed from making little transmitters to building bigger and more sophisticated receivers and antennae.
- But not by Grote Reber, a radio ham from Illinois who later moved to Tasmania.
- I had inherited a lot of old electronic gear and bits and pieces from my father, who was into radio ham / electronic projects.
- A keen German radio ham, named only as Michael B, overheard a policeman calling for help after his car got stuck in a muddy field near Frankfurt.
- If you're a radio ham, and a little disappointed with the lack of OS diversity in the mainstream amateur radio magazines, you're sure to enjoy Volker Schroer's intro to PSK31 under Linux on page 50.
- I'm a radio freak going back to my childhood, when I was a ham radio operator (even today the only code I know is Morse).
- Tony had registered n7qvc.com because he's a keen radio ham and his call sign is - you guessed it - n7qvc.
- And the power he produces helps him travel the world - for radio ham Ian uses the free ‘juice’ to power up his equipment.
1sobreactuaractuar con exagerado histrionismo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.