In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(striking)golpeteo masculinegolpes masculinemartilleo masculine(with hammer) martillazos masculine
- Over the next four years they contacted the council repeatedly about loud music, a barking dog and banging and hammering, including the laying of laminate flooring late at night.
- In fact, he was much more interested in all of the hammering and voices coming from the guys renovating the old police station next door.
- Amid the sounds of hammering and drilling, I shuffled about having breakfast and reading the post.
- It stays silent for a while, and then the hammering begins.
- Since the research began Sheffield city centre has been transformed with a raft of new clubs and shops opening as well as much drilling and hammering as building on new city apartments gets under way.
- Accompanied by the sound of hammering, cursing, and drilling, Graham has been populating the walls with pictures, plates, and other bits of our stuff.
- The sound of hammering and voices attracted the attention of trading standards officers at a car scrap yard.
- I am no good with a hammer, and should not pursue a career requiring hammering.
- Work that involved hammering or noise was not undertaken on Good Friday.
- They have been starting work at 8.00 am every weekday morning with a few minutes of pointless hammering, thus causing me to leave the house as quickly as possible.
- There are the menacing lorries and tipper trailers that are parked on the roads, and there is daylong hammering and tinkering and revving of engines for repairs.
- There was a sudden urgent hammering in the hallway.
- After observing what must have been hours and hours of detailed stitching, beading, hammering of some metals, one can allow for and appreciate Hakonson's sense of humour coming through.
- The prow was removed by drilling, and hammering wedges, and it was this hammering that could be heard from inside.
- I walked up the stairs in the balcony, hearing my own footsteps which sounded like someone hammering.
- Built my shelves late morning, leaving the hammering until there was a fair chance the neighbours would be up.
- Despite the hammering and sawing, the dirt and the dust on Sunday, one could see that this is not a hollow claim because the structure is indeed audacious.
- We're thrilled to have with us the guys who do the hammering, the plumbing and the hosting on the show.
- Thinking about something else distracts my attention, causing bad hammering to ruin my work.
- However, this is when I discovered that I am not exactly coordinated with the hammering of the nails.
2.1informal (severe defeat)paliza feminine informalto give sb a hammering — darle una paliza a algn informal
- they took / got a hammering — les dieron una paliza
- Of course, a 5-0 hammering of the Quakers would have been welcomed with open arms but from there the only way is down and at least City have left room for improvement and kept expectation levels in check.
- His performances this season have been outstanding - particularly one goal and assist in a 4-0 hammering of Juventus.
- Clifton FC top the division one table after an 11-1 hammering of Haxby Inn, the second successive 11-1 defeat for Haxby.
- His all-time favourite game, however, has got to be the 5-1 hammering of Germany in June 2001.
- The coach had every reason to crow after Saturday's hammering of Widnes Tigers at Trimpell and says the attitude of his team is making his job easy.
- Kildare's rousing and total game in that last 20 minutes will stand them in greater stead than Dublin's hammering of London.
- Wetheriggs were the most impressive winners in the Trophy matches with a 9-1 hammering of Shap.
- However, they will next face a side who have enjoyed three consecutive wins, including last week's 62-20 hammering of Saddleworth Rangers.
- Selby Warriors got their Yorkshire League division two campaign off to a great start with a 64-20 hammering of Ackworth.
- There was no such problems for Mike Kelly's QPR A who continued their winning ways with a 5-1 hammering of AC Athletic.
- Malton and Norton drew level on points with leaders Pontefract at the top of Yorkshire One following a 49-7 hammering of Wheatley Hills.
- York Nomads hit top form with a 9-1 hammering of Haxby Lions in division five.
- Less than two years ago, York Wasps ended their season with a 70-8 hammering of a despairing Oldham side at Huntington Stadium.
- This was, by far, Carlow's best performance of the year, exorcising that horrific hammering in Ballina five weeks ago when Mayo beat the Barrowsiders by 15 points.
- The 20-year-old was the inspiration behind Sevilla's four-goal hammering of Real earlier in the season.
- It was Gary Bennett's Quakers who kick-started City's recent slide with their 4-0 hammering of the Minstermen in the LDV Vans Trophy last month.
- After Tipperary's hammering of Clare in 1994, Tipp scored 2-29, Loughnane, then a selector, decided to take action.
- The Hawick pack fought for every scrap of ball and anyone who seriously thought Hawick's recent hammering at the hands of Glasgow Hawks made Mansfield Park any easier a place to come and get a win, was made to think again.
- Recent departee Damien Reid scored a hat-trick for Barrow in their 48-0 derby hammering of Workington last week.
- Darwen won their first NWCL Division Two game in five attempts with a 6-1 hammering of Castleton Gabriels at the Anchor Ground.
2.2(severe criticism)duras críticas feminineit deserved the hammering it took / got from the press — se merecía el palo que le dio la prensa informal
- to give sb a hammering — criticar duramente a algn
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.