In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Most people are familiar with mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs, which are commonly kept as pets.
- Experiments revealed the same cells that have also been discovered in rats, gophers, gerbils, mice, and hamsters.
- Donkeys, dogs, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, parrots and newts are most likely to get a present.
- A former voluntary worker says pythons there fed on pet rabbits, hamsters and gerbils that had been entrusted to the zoo's care.
- Pet hamsters and gerbils are a familiar sight at many schools but Old Palace has decided to go one better and adopt a llama.
- I adored my quota of kittens, puppies, guinea pigs, hamsters and polecats, but infant pigs have extra loveability.
- Also, gerbils and hamsters are better left to be owned by friends, where we can go over and visit them and hold them and go home and never have to clean a cage.
- In case you ever have a problem identifying rodents again, hamsters are cute and stuff food into their cheeks.
- Pregnant women should avoid contact with hamsters or other rodents.
- To me, they all look like small, furry, kind of cute-looking little things - like hamsters, gerbils, shrews and mice.
- People are invited to bring along pets - from hamsters and guinea pigs to cats and dogs - to take part in the pet show, a new event for this year.
- At school, our classroom had a small rodent zoo consisting of two rabbits, three hamsters, a litter of baby gerbils and a guinea pig.
- Penicillin is a very useful drug for humans but kills guinea pigs and hamsters.
- So from my earliest childhood there was a bond created between myself and my animals, which were little pets like hamsters and gerbils.
- Dogs, cats, hamsters, a pet rat, goldfish, frogs and guinea pigs weren't enough for us.
- Animal experiments on rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, monkeys, and baboons revealed no link between glass fibers and cancer.
- If you've got chinchillas or hamsters or any other small furry creatures, there is more than a trip to the microwave in store for them when it comes to playtime.
- We recycle everything, usually through our neighbours' kids' rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs.
- Akina removed her sunglasses as she entered the store, smiling when she saw small gerbils and hamsters.
- Gerbils and hamsters can bite and even the most innocent-looking rabbits can't be trusted but the Talking Bird Class was the real challenge.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.