In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a la temperatura de la manocaliente pero sin quemar
- If using dried yeast, sprinkle it on to the hand-hot water with the sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until frothy.
- Gently wipe away all traces of the cleansing lotion with a flannel wrung out in hand-hot water, rinsing at least twice more in hot water.
- And the chip is cool - not even hand-hot in operation.
- Next, check the care labels to see if the clothes need washing in cold or hand-hot water and whether there are instructions about detergent type.
- In accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, it was treated with water (for example 30 minutes in hand-hot water) and stuffed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.