In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(fighting/combat) cuerpo a cuerpo
- Sarah bowed out and ran over to Lauren and Rachel who were engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the guards.
- The game should have stuck to more hand-to-hand combat action, which it does relatively well.
- Political Editor Simon McGee reports on the close hand-to-hand fight over Yorkshire's only three-way marginal.
- In a few years, maybe, you will have to do a little hand-to-hand combat with him in those wee bleak hours, when confidence threatens to drain away.
- You'll have three hours of hand-to-hand combat, and then three hours of weapons training.
- The plan was for all the fast guys to receive reinforcements from the slower ones after a brief moment of hand-to-hand combat.
- She was sure that if they had fought hand-to-hand combat without concealed weapons, they would lose for sure.
- Individual streets were fought over using hand-to-hand combat.
- As a result, she was fairly good in a hand-to-hand fight, and could shoot a stone with a sling amazingly far and accurate.
- While he was a good challenge at longer ranges, he had difficulty fighting in close and in hand-to-hand combat.
- Her best fights were hand-to-hand, but she wasn't half bad at weapons, either.
- Why not include hand-to-hand battles with Roman characters, or even chariot races for control of a particular piece of land?
- It is not long before the goons are overrunning the guards and engaging with them in hand-to-hand combat.
- He's a former Israeli special forces commando and top hand-to-hand combat instructor.
- I will also be there, unarmed and unaccompanied - you will be able to battle me in hand-to-hand combat.
- Greg flew at him and in a moment they were engaged in hand-to-hand combat.
- His struggle plunged his remaining clip into the dino's hip, equalizing the hand-to-hand fight.
- At present, she was trying to fight Jeremy in hand-to-hand combat, and was failing.
- He killed this enemy in hand-to-hand combat, gathered up the ammunition and returned to his unit.
- Their experience with explosives and hand-to-hand combat have to be good for a touching moment or two.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.