In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1esposas femininea pair of handcuffs — unas esposas
- But Makowe barked an order to the policewoman and, in an instant, a pair of handcuffs clicked shut around Julian's wrists.
- It's not until they are carrying me away, not until I can feel the cold metal of the handcuffs biting into my wrists, that it sinks in I just shot Santa Claus.
- Every time he left his cell, including for medical appointments, Thomas had to wear a body belt and was shackled with handcuffs and leg irons.
- I suddenly felt cold metal handcuffs slap on my wrists.
- Actual policemen brought the prisoners down to the police station in handcuffs and did the booking.
- We've replaced their cuff links with handcuffs and moved their photos from magazine covers to wanted posters.
- He also made reference to injuries to his wrists which he stated were caused by the application of handcuffs.
- A spokesman for the Prison Service said that, as with the previous escapes, the convict had a three-man escort who were under orders to keep the prisoner in handcuffs at all times.
- Jim could see another set of handcuffs, securing Blair's wrists behind his back.
- Suddenly, he yanked free as his hand came up and cuffed my wrist with my own handcuffs.
- Then he was shackled in handcuffs, leg irons, and a belly chain and taken to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn.
- A man who was arrested on suspicion of drink driving gave police officers the run-around after he slipped out of a pair of handcuffs and escaped from the back of a patrol car.
- In my case, I did think it was true in the latter case, with the handcuffs removed after the prisoner began to give birth.
- If you're going to get handcuffs on them, to restrain them, obviously they're going to get cut somewhere along the line.
- He waved a pair of handcuffs under his prisoner's nose, forcing him to notice the razor sharp inner edges.
- The article reported that the girl was detained in handcuffs and shackles.
- Koh acknowledged that these methods have included the use of tear gas, pepper-spray, stun guns, stun belts, police dogs, handcuffs and leg shackles.
- Slap a pair of handcuffs on the bullies and show them what a real prison is like.
- The two Norwegians threatened to arrest Inge while the out of uniform police officer wielded a pair of handcuffs to add to the threats.
- I could still practically feel the handcuffs on my wrist.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.