In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1manillar masculinemanubrio masculine Latin America
- The distracted cyclist flew over the handlebars and landed on the pavement.
- One year an enterprising bunch of local lads, spotting a gap in the market, offered trips back down to the station on the handlebars of their bicycles.
- Sure, other steel handlebars have been made before for track sprinters who insist on steel for stiffness.
- It has a vertical steering column and handlebars on which are attached a hand operated throttle lever and a brake grip.
- Radio signals send that data to a computer mounted on the handlebars for the cyclists to read.
- Changing partners in the House of Commons is about as helpful as wrapping your handlebars in blue tape rather than red.
- He was also shown a bicycle fork and handlebars that the prosecution alleged Hughes used to weigh down the bag to prevent its discovery.
- Such baskets dangle from the handlebars of the bicycles, mopeds and motorbikes which are the transport of the masses.
- He either perched his agile paws on Max's motorbike handlebars or snuggled into his travel bag as the pair purred along the road.
- Bicycle enthusiasts might want a set with handlebars, though it's unclear what purpose the handlebars serve.
- Towards the finish, his handlebars came loose, he was unable to hold an aerodynamic position, and his challenge faded.
- I remember driving around the Warner studio with him on the bicycle handlebars, just cruising around the lot.
- Is this common when carbon handlebars are mated with stems with four-bolt faceplates?
- Spade spun sideways narrowly avoiding getting scraped by the scooter's handlebars.
- If your handlebars slip in the stem clamp, that can be dangerous when you slam on your brakes.
- While the handlebars have been fashioned from those of a bicycle, the seat and wheels were borrowed from a scooter.
- So I made sure I kept my hands on the handlebars and waited to lift them in celebration until I was well and truly over the finishing line.
- He injured his knee after banging it against his own handlebars during the team time trial in the first week of his first Tour.
- Measure seat height, distance from the seat to the handlebars and handlebar height.
- My brother experienced going over the handlebars due to his front wheel locking up at slow speed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.