In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(between people)apretón de manos masculinesee also golden handshake
- The social workers and the parents exchanged hellos and handshakes and then introduced Jaime.
- A firm handshake is the basic greeting, and people shake hands again when they part.
- He received a few awed stares, many cheerful greetings and a hearty handshake from the leader of the family.
- Hugs and handshakes were exchanged before Christopher and Lydia boarded the train.
- Instead he put on a big grin and put his hand out toward Mitch to signal for a handshake.
- A handshake is the normal greeting between men and women unless one is very familiar with the person.
- After an exchange of handshakes, all nine sat down to begin the meeting.
- He set down one of his items on the floor and stretched his hand for a handshake and I shook his hand as firmly as I could with my free hand.
- They greeted me with a hug and then politely exchanged handshakes with Jake.
- I read recently in this newspaper that kissing has now supplanted the handshake as the greeting of choice among male friends.
- The customary greeting involves a firm handshake, direct eye contact, and perhaps a slight nod of the head but rarely embracing or kissing.
- The usual greeting is a handshake, although Roma men often embrace relatives and close friends and kiss them on the cheek.
- Duncan and I make our way over to them, all the way doing the greetings, the handshakes with the guys and the kissy-kissy on the cheeks with the girls, that are actually a pretty nice French custom.
- Outside of formal introductions greetings are often vocal and are not accompanied by a handshake or kiss.
- There were handshakes and greetings on every side and the lucky ones got teddy bears and red roses, to say nothing of rings and pendants.
- This greeting - be it a kiss, a handshake or, in Japan, a bow - has been a part of the Mass before the Mass was even called the Mass.
- Extended greetings and handshakes are very important in most Namibian cultures.
- Men and women limit their greetings to a handshake; kissing in public is considered scandalous.
- David Trimble memorably refused to shake Adams's hand, saying the handshake originated from two adversaries wanting to show each other they were not carrying weapons.
- We all exchanged handshakes and smiles, and immediately resumed our trek.
2Computingprotocolo de intercambio masculine
- It is already possible today for researchers to exchange haptic stimuli over the Internet to simulate handshakes.
- SCSI is a parallel bus technology, similar to the buses that make up all computer systems, and every transfer is guaranteed and acknowledged with proper handshakes.
- Storage virtualization has generally been associated with the handshake between computers and disk blocks.
- It contains an unchecked buffer in the part of its code which deals with handshakes when connecting to SMTP server.
- It boasts intrusion detection systems, encryption key management and a cryptography accelerator that can perform up to 6,000 SSL handshakes a second.
- For those cursed with dialup, you probably know what the modem handshake sounds like, with the hissing and screaming before it is connected.
- In a normal TCP / IP connection, two devices need to complete a three-way handshake before initiating transmission.
- A connection between a browser and a Web server is divided into two phases, the handshake and the data transfer.
- TCP, one of the main protocols used on the Internet, uses a three-way handshake to connect your browser to the Web site you want.
- SAS, on the other hand, provides a loose handshake and thus frames can be transferred in both directions simultaneously.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.