In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1to do a handstand — hacer la vertical
- One of the instructors then broke into a flurry of breaking moves that included vault-like leg swinging and inverted human pretzel handstands to make a gymnast blush.
- You are astonished to discover the man can do cartwheels, handstands and back flips.
- After a year attending classes at the Montreal circus school, Corinne was doing wheelies on a unicycle and holding handstands.
- She did everything, but on one of the handstands she was short and they devalued it.
- On bars, I have to make sure the handstands are perfect.
- This action is key for pushing movements in the shot put, the press-up to a handstand in gymnastics, pushing in football and the final push-off to clear the bar in the pole vault.
- They spin on their heads, do back flips, handstands and capoiera moves.
- I tell my gymnast daughter not to do handstands on the settee, while remembering the times I did just that.
- I had discovered that I could kick up without fear, and I loved the feeling of flying up against the wall into a handstand.
- He feels like he is caught in a permanent handstand, feet to the heavens, hands to the earth, swinging free.
- Chen, who is now playing elder sister to many of her younger classmates, has already accustomed herself to the endless backward somersaults, handstands and horse vaults.
- We see one monk do a handstand balanced solely on his index fingers.
- Well I was fairly reserved; my mum was super excited and I was internally, so it wasn't like I was jumping around doing handstands or using the trampoline or anything like that.
- She had to do cartwheels and handstands, but was perfect.
- When you see physical strength and ability like that, it's really inspiring - it makes me want to do handstands and backflips.
- Considering the twins were already doing handstands and backflips while blindfolded on the top of a revolving 16-metre high wheel of death, it's difficult to imagine how the Russians might have gone one better.
- Ikeda, who won the gold medal on balance beam at the 1954 World Gymnastics Championships, amazed the audience by performing a handstand after mounting the podium to accept her award.
- I've been a gymnast since I can remember and I've been doing random handstands since before I was a gymnast.
- These range from the not-so-simple cartwheels and handstands, to the sinew-stretching Pyramid Formations and Basket Tosses.
- They are doing handstands, cartwheels and back flips in San Diego for a team that was 1-15 last season.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.