In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(device)feminine ala deltadeslizador masculine Mexico
- The pair fell off the edge of the Aiguille du Midi, near Chamonix, Switzerland, as they tried to take off in a double-harnessed parapente, a large parachute like a hang-glider.
- We followed the directions, and assembled the hang-gliders as best we could.
- Mark W gets his adrenalin fix by jumping off cliffs with his hang-glider, and then realising it's a heck of a long way down.
- ‘It is a bike you wear,’ says Bob Vogel, 40, a paraplegic hang-glider pilot who has owned a One-Off for nearly two years.
- One interesting sidelight was the parasailing display; you get airborne on a hang-glider towed by a vehicle.
- But even these hang-gliders have to share their airspace.
- In mere seconds, the cape had turned into a hang-glider.
- The man's hang-glider had apparently got out of control.
- He deftly navigates the world's meanest island in a hang-glider.
- Mostly she asked for ice cream, pulled faces during meetings, or tried to escape using a hang-glider made of post-it notes and paperclips.
- Tandem hang-gliders soar above schools of dolphin.
- After spending countless hours flying hang-gliders, he developed a hunger to create a flying machine that could take off like a plane with wheels or with floats on water in just 25 meters.
- Parked on the other side of the roof was a small hang-glider.
- Someone may have pitched a minor league no-hitter, climbed a dangerous rocky peak or rode a hang-glider thousands of feet to a valley far below.
- They had not intended to fly the two-seater plane, which experts say resembles a heavy-duty hang-glider with an engine.
- And there was the ultralight, a flimsy little tricycle fitted with a hang-glider's wings and a motor hooked up with a propeller.
- The court was told that McGovern was in the process of dismantling his hang-glider when security staff confronted him.
- Leonardo's inventions - a parachute, hang-glider, tank, underwater diving suit and robot - are built and put to the test for the first time, 500 years after he designed them.
- Imagine a hang-glider suspended over a trike and you're on the right track.
- Also in '99, there was a plot regarding an explosive-laden hang-glider.
2(person)piloto de ala delta femininepiloto de deslizador feminine Mexico
- Outside there's an incestuous D' Ove orgy going on in the D' Ovecote, hot air balloons are sailing by, bees and hang-gliders are buzzing around.
- It was like a hang-glider, carried aloft by currents of warm air, coming to believe it could defy gravity forever.
- Live from Table Mountain will be travelling the world on air, dropping in at the beach in Sydney, joining the crowds on the Esplanade in Singapore, talking to a hang-glider over Rio, and picking up the gossip in a Nairobi coffee house.
- A badly injured hang-glider was airlifted to hospital after crashing on the moorland above Whitworth.
- With the increased use of the Town Park playing fields and the loss of the Valley Floor west of town for political reasons, the festival no longer had a suitable landing zone for hang-gliders.
- Sitting on top of Mam Tor after a dusty, sweaty drive through the dales, watching hang-gliders and paragliders swirl beneath us, feeling fresh wind on the back of our necks
- I am busy now trying to get my Sport Pilot Examiner appointment, which could benefit tug pilots and hang-gliders as well.
- Probably this book will begin circulating firstly among hang-gliders only, but should probably expand from there and reach the aviation oriented public as well.
- An accomplished hang-glider, Mallin was once entered into the Guinness Book of Records after flying 132 miles in seven-and-a-half hours.
- Because of its many hills and valleys - the same characteristics that attract hawks and hang-gliders to western Pennsylvania - the state is a major producer of wind power.
- Well look out onto the lakes, see jet-boats whizzing around; look up at the mountains, see parapenters jumping off everywhere, hang-gliders jumping off.
- Don't fear those bumps in the night - they're the sound of Marenghi's spine-tingler soaring, then crashing to earth like a hang-glider that has collided with a crow.
- Like a hang-glider I dropped over the edge and down into the blue.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.