In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Legally, they make them sign deals saying don't come to me for a hangnail.
- Not a bad way to relax, although if you have any cuts or scrapes or hangnails on you, they can really sting when you get in.
- That's a nasty hangnail you've got there, Bremer.
- Lawyers will ask courts for dispensation for their athletes/clients who suffer from hangovers, hangnails, imperfectly ground prescription glasses, bad cholesterol.
- I'm not going to miss players barely running out fly balls and sitting out games over hangnails.
- I got a hangnail, this is gonna distract me the entire fight, I'm gonna sit this one out.
- Thanks to the law, the millions who might divorce every year over hangnails, custody of the remote, who left the toilet seat up and other inconsequential differences of opinion, will come to their senses.
- If Bertuzzi were to be sued, every player who got a sliver or a hangnail because of an infraction, would be out for some money.
- I saw that I had torn the hangnail right off my finger without even noticing.
- Let's start with the ‘finger sandwiches’ description: the crusts were not always neatly removed and you could only describe them as finger sandwiches if your fingers were the size of jumbo sausages with very large hangnails.
- She chews her hangnails and preoccupies herself with finding a place for her purse.
- Tory found it was harder to keep calm if she was looking at Nell, and pretended to study a hangnail on her ring finger.
- Every little dent in the rickety vehicle was a tiny book in itself, and made one feel very much like a parent of a child, knowing every thing about them from missing teeth to hangnails.
- Colleen, on the other hand, hunching like a sloth, wearily dragged herself up after them, continuing to bite her hangnails.
- Topping my list is the Apricot Cuticle Oil, which tackles even the toughest hangnails and ragged cuticles.
- If hangnails are present, carefully clip them.
- Keep the skin around your nails soft and supple and you won't get hangnails.
- Children who bite their fingernails or pick at hangnails are more likely to get warts.
- You won't be covering your ears from the lack of pleasantries coming out of the speaker, but if you get busy picking at a pesky hangnail, you won't even notice that Desmond is on.
- By all means tend to her hangnails, lovingly soothe her with a pumice, scent her skin with peach and coconut and rose petals - but only for the duration of the affair.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.