In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In other words they wish to feed their own egos, impressing their public with their concept of direct hard-hitting so-called truths.
- Truant teenagers are being targeted in a hard-hitting poster campaign at bus shelters across East Lancashire.
- The Harvard Center for Risk Analysis criticized the newly hard-hitting coverage.
- In fact, the subtitled video is a poignant and hard-hitting meditation on four Turkish women who wear wigs, and why they do so.
- There was an access report commissioned by industry on it, which was tough, hard, hard-hitting, even scathing.
- The Insider, an honest and hard-hitting film, won nothing.
- Noise-making culprits will also be directly targeted in a hard-hitting publicity campaign based on market research.
- A city segregated on racial lines, riven by racism, poverty and prejudice is revealed in a hard-hitting report looking at Bradford.
- Young people are drifting into crime because too little is being spent on keeping them out of trouble, a hard-hitting survey has revealed.
- The campaign, backed by Swindon Council and the police, has seen hard-hitting posters go up in car parks across town.
- Saying his ejection from the frontbench was inevitable, he went on to make some hard-hitting criticisms about the state of his own party.
- For a few moments near the beginning, Center Stage looks like it has a chance to be revealing and hard-hitting.
- Most shows and most comics that are hard-hitting are criticizing everything.
- Drawing inspiration from real life incidents, he makes hard-hitting films that revolve around issues concerning society.
- The site features a hard-hitting poster campaign, which uses a series of startling images and facts to highlight the cruelty to animals.
- It poses a direct and hard-hitting question: to what extent is civility compatible with religion?
- The usually hard-hitting critics of the ABC in some media outlets seem to have ignored this story completely.
- However, even though the hard-hitting report was very critical of AIB management, no senior manager was sacked.
- Stephen Lewis reports on a new, hard-hitting campaign with posters such as this to keep children safe and away from railway lines during the Easter holidays.
- One of the standout films of the festival, Proteus was hard-hitting and frank.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.