In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Other hare-brained schemes were hatched, half-implemented and then went nowhere.
- These hare-brained beliefs are hardly found only in the minds of the British upper-class.
- But thanks to modern mobile technology, what was once only a hare-brained idea has now become a startling reality.
- The decision as to whether this hare-brained scheme goes ahead is currently with the First Minister but the council is behaving as if it is a foregone conclusion.
- We wish to register our protest at the ludicrous, hare-brained and outrageous scheme being put forward as improvements, supposedly to increase the flow of traffic through this area.
- The numerous hare-brained schemes, such as ‘Capital of Culture’ status, costing millions of ratepayers' hard-earned cash, should be abandoned.
- They come up with hare-brained schemes that cause so many problems they take more time to fix than to create.
- That's when panic struck me; I didn't actually expect her to support my hare-brained idea!
- It's time these starry-eyed amateurs stopped their hare-brained meddling.
- There's something mad-scientist / hare-brained baroque about it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.