In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(substance) nocivo(influence) pernicioso(influence) dañino(effect) perjudicialthese rays may be harmful to the eye/one's health — estos rayos pueden ser perjudiciales / dañinos para los ojos/la salud
- Not all these chemicals are healthy, not all are harmful, most can be either.
- CFC gas damages the ozone layer which protects the earth from harmful rays from the sun.
- More drugs fail clinical tests because of harmful effects on the liver than for any other reason.
- This is a highly controversial treatment and it is suggested that it might be harmful.
- We learn patterns of behaviour there - some of which are useful, some of which are harmful.
- It is the acidic environment produced by the harmful bugs that results in tooth decay.
- There are alternative fuels, some less harmful to the atmosphere and some which do no harm at all.
- The Thames has highly dangerous levels of e.coli and other harmful bacteria.
- My mother was so protective that now I feel it was actually quite harmful to me.
- High work demands and high mobilisation of efforts at work may not always indicate harmful stress.
- The lining of the stomach produces a B acid to help digest food and also protect from harmful bacteria.
- From what I've been told smoking cannabis is allegedly less harmful than cigarettes.
- Chocolate is legal and more effective and also has no harmful side-effects whatsoever.
- Pollution on our roads is far more harmful to us all than cigarette smoke will ever be.
- It is quite a harmful chemical and may produce adverse reactions.
- The lack of atmosphere also means there's no protection from harmful radiation in the solar wind.
- To restrict fluid to the extent of causing dehydration may even be harmful.
- It is not unusual to find substances in illegal drugs that are much more harmful than the drugs themselves.
- It could be said that alcohol and tobacco are much more harmful drugs than either cocaine or heroin.
- Are the more sexual representations merely offensive, or can they be genuinely harmful?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.