In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The sonata is a major work that combines the young composer's acerbic wit and uncompromising harmonic astringency with a lyrical bent and cross-cultural echoes of Far Eastern musical modes.
- In both the first and third movements I was often reminded of the toccata-like sections of Prokofiev's sonatas and concertos, though Lees' melodic and harmonic approaches are quite different.
- You knew how to find just the right dreamlike quality for the music, whose harmonic language is neither tonal, nor modal, nor truly chromatic, but a little of all three at the same time.
- Their music, generally set for unaccompanied four-voice chorus, lacks the melodic and harmonic suavity of European music of the time.
- Debussy's supple rhythms and rich harmonic language, influenced in part by the ancient music of the Far East, became the ideal vehicle for painting a mood, no matter how complex or ephemeral.
- The basic harmonic and melodic language is not complex and often typical of late nineteenth/early twentieth century salon music.
- If nothing else, this shows how thoroughly Rutkowski has absorbed Gershwin's melodic, harmonic, and keyboard habits.
- Like Michael Brecker, he's absorbed a lot of Coltrane but his harmonic language draws as much from funk and soul as much as jazz.
- However, Koeluh is many steps behind Haydn in harmonic invention and melodic inspiration.
- The CD is almost exclusively built on funk grooves and avoids the harmonic and melodic language of bebop.
- Moreover, it led me very directly to the periodogram, and to the study of forms of harmonic analysis more general than the classical Fourier series and Fourier integral.
- It's true that there are other kinds of mean - geometric mean, harmonic mean, quadratic mean and so on.
- In addition to his work on set theory, Cohen has worked on differential equations and harmonic analysis.
- Beurling worked on the theory of generalized functions, differential equations, harmonic analysis, Dirichlet series and potential theory.
- It was not just to these areas that he contributed but, even more importantly, his work brought out fundamental relationships between the areas when he studied harmonic analysis on topological groups and characteristic classes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.