In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I wondered what he was thinking as we swayed to the melody of softly playing lutes, harps, and lyres.
- I casually plucked a few strings on the harp then strolled over to the harpsichord.
- Later, McChrystal asked Metcalf for an orchestration, first for strings, and then for strings and harp, which is the version McChrystal played here.
- The prelude to Scene 2 meanwhile shows Poulenc's play with brass and woodwinds in give and take, while puckishly plucked strings and harp play with each other in the background.
- The pluck of the harps obviously relates to the ‘harp’ color of the piano.
- Other musical instruments included stringed instruments such as fiddles and harps, and woodwind instruments such as flutes and fifes.
- Bennett's writing is highly sensitive, with delicate writing for the harp and harpsichord, as well as for the violist.
- The six Irish singers and musicians feature a number of musical styles and the line-up incudes fiddles, whistles, harp, banjo, mandola, piano, guitars, bodhráns and more.
- The composer has made a kind of ‘concerto for orchestra’ and features the harp and clarinet in its later stages as concertante instruments.
- Pressing the magic fax button was for him far more alarming than the intricacies of the concert, pedal harp.
- The angels are playing a collection of musical instruments, including the harp, tambourine, cymbals, lyre and psaltery.
- It is appealing, fresh, and redolent of the open air, and the composer's use of the harp and an orchestral piano lend the symphony, particularly the first movement, a glittering quality.
- On the modern harp, players pluck the strings near the middle with the pads of their fingers.
- Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin, Menuet Antique and Pavane pour une infante défunte are finely crafted readings as are Debussy's two Danses for harp and string orchestra.
- Materials for the Rebec would be much the same as for the harp or lyre, although the Rebec has only three strings.
- Percussion is used judiciously in these pieces, adding colour and texture at important points, whilst strings provide background and harp and wind carry most of the melodic weight.
- Much of it has a suspended quality, of time stretched out, elongated, with overlapping waves of strummings that variously suggest guitars, harps, bells, and dulcimers constellating about a central drone.
- The expanded orchestra, with added bass trumpet, contra bass trombone, special Wagner tubas and five harps which give this work its distinctive timbre, at turns scintillating and louring, played with admirable finesse.
- Bassoonist John Clouser made the Lullaby a thing of beauty, accompanied by the three harps and muted strings.
- As if a film about three women has to have all the traditionally feminine sounds, and you can't get more feminine than strings, piano and harp.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.