In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculine picaportemasculine cierremasculine broche
- Anyway, this afternoon we spent an inordinately long time fixing a hasp and padlock to the garage.
- The suspect is believed to have gained entry via the rear garden, by removing a clasp and hasp from the garage door.
- Unfortunately, most sheds are inherently weak and it isn't always appropriate to fit heavy-duty padlocks, hasps, and staples as the door may not be strong enough to support them.
- Doors off to the left and right of us were secured with sturdy padlocks on steel hasps.
- The entrance to the basement proper is protected by a sturdy oak panelled door with flaking maroon paint, two Yale locks and a hasp and staple secured with a heavy duty padlock.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.