In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As promised, three trunks, several hatboxes, and a few normal-sized suitcases had been carefully placed in the center, Amy already working at the task of freeing those pretties and lovelies that rested within.
- Even though I've bought the MINIMUM of luggage for these two weeks I still have to apologise anytime someone trips over a hatbox or two.
- Inside, brutalist walls made of concrete terrazzo effectively highlight the intricate craftsmanship of works ranging from 18 th-century needlework to 19 th-century hand-painted hatboxes.
- On the floor beside the washstand is an English-made leather gentleman's hatbox dating from about 1830 to 1850.
- Hide them in plain sight in fabric-covered hatboxes or file boxes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.