In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(ruthless operator)persona contratada para ejecutar tareas o tomar decisiones desagradables
- Washington Post hatchet man Michael Kelly joined in this macarena of meretricious mendacity.
- The hagiographers and the hatchet men have only begun to do their best - or their worst - on the already weathered marble bust of Rudolf Nureyev's reputation.
- Those of us who pay any attention should have realized by now that there are two or three persons in the media who call themselves journalists when, in fact, they are really hatchet men.
- It's not surprising that Krugman is reading a book written by an admitted hatchet man and liar.
- His reputation as the party's hatchet man related especially to his attacks on Adlai Stevenson, the Democrats' presidential candidate in 1952 and 1956.
2US(hired killer)sicario masculineasesino a sueldo masculine
- Many of them have been behaving like servile hatchet men and not as members of elite services owing unshakeable allegiance to the Constitution, the laws of the land and the principles of democratic governance.
- An assortment of hatchet men, opportunists and sycophants gained access to the levers of power.
- Government hatchet men raided Gilani's Delhi home and ‘stumbled’ on a computer file about Indian troop deployments in Kashmir.
- The hatchet men stand ready for him behind the door with a rolling pin, and when he gets home, they let him have it.
- A cafe owner vouches for them and they are freed, but it isn't long before they come face to face with the bloodthirsty robber and his hatchet man!
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.