In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1altivez femininealtanería feminine
- She sails into the waves flanked by arrogance, haughtiness and false power.
- His crushing critiques, if not born of arrogance, have at times been delivered with a haughtiness that practically swaggers across the page or the airwaves.
- ‘Serves you right,’ Leigh said, with mock haughtiness.
- They perceive haughtiness, arrogance and all sorts of faults in people who are really totally indistinguishable from themselves.
- There's something so extraordinary about the pride, the haughtiness, the explicit sensuality of flamenco which is so unBritish.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.