In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(by ghosts)(house/room) embrujado
- This journey to the dark side of Alton will include dinner at one of our local restaurants and a full - length ghost tour of haunted sites!
- As the eldest and smartest student, she bravely stayed in the haunted room in the dormitory and successfully exorcised the evil spirit.
- Glamis was reputed to be the most haunted place in Britain, and Elizabeth has heard strange noises ever since she was a child.
- A photograph with an orb is usually one that is taken in an allegedly haunted place.
- Its members offered displays of ‘spirit photography’ and video diaries of vigils in haunted rooms.
- He chose York: the ‘city of a thousand ghosts’ and, by all accounts, one of the most haunted places in Europe.
- The idea invites daredevils to raise sponsorship and spend half an hour on their own in the castle's most haunted room.
- The Haunted Mansion looked exactly like its name - a haunted place that had seen much death and destruction.
- In the freezing depth of the Polish winter, the town of Oswiecim is a haunted place: colourless, dirty, and economically destitute.
- His long search had brought him to this haunted city - where ghosts of the past were still not dormant.
- The site has loads of ghost stories (all said to be true), haunted places that you can visit and ghostly photos.
- This is the fiction of dark haunted landscapes (in this case a black spruce bog) and twisted unfulfilled love.
- Are you brave enough to spend Halloween night in one of the most haunted places in downstate Illinois?
- Being an avid ‘ghost’ fanatic, getting the chance to check out one of the most haunted places in the Nation was quite a special treat.
- It was just a run-down house that should be closed off, not some haunted looking mansion where normally nobody would step foot in.
- Let's meet our panel as we get into our discussion of the paranormal and the possibility of ghosts and haunted houses.
- Among the items the young people will observe when they go along to the convent hall will be a haunted graveyard, wax museum, a freaky wedding and Frankenstein's lab.
- Perhaps it had been a servants' entrance in sunnier times, but no one could remember when Badenoch had ever been anything but a terrible, haunted place.
- No longer is it the lonely haunted place with alleys and dark doorways ready to hide the criminal and the sleuth.
- When they entered the sacred, haunted place, Takeshi walked at a slower pace, showing respect for those who were buried there.
2(look/expression) angustiado(look/expression) obsesionado
- She was losing weight as well, her face taking on a thin, haunted look.
- He had a haunted look in his eyes like that of a mental hospital escapee.
- She and Jonathan share a sexless love that's disturbed when Clare decides she wants sweet, haunted Bobby to be the father of her child.
- I already knew what he would ask next, so when he shut his eyes briefly, and asked, I knew exactly what to sign back to his haunted gaze.
- Save for a few healing scrapes and bruising, only the haunted look in his green eyes shows signs of his ordeal.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.