In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In a teenage girl's magazine he's cited as a soft target for fans who are on a mission to snog a celebrity.
- It could have been a player and in any case it doesn't matter because he's a human being trying to do his job.
- Add to that all the fantastic records he's produced and you've got a major figure.
- I have no idea what this song is about or what the hell he's singing but I love it.
- It isn't going to affect the price of a pint, Jack says, so he's not much interested.
- Costner's been roundly criticised for his work for years, but here he's on top form.
- Not only is he friendly, trustworthy and a good English speaker, he's a top laugh too.
- As a friend said, he's a stranger, someone most of us have never met, so why does it bother you so much?
- There used to be a poet from Ayrshire who did that stuff, but he's long dead now.
- Happy as I am that Papa Bear is back on the screen, I don't want to know what he's up to just yet.
- In a position to shun the cash bribes of big business, he's now impervious to their threats.
- If he's doing a good job, it does reflect the way they play, the way they operate.
- Deep down, he's a nice bloke, despite his best efforts to shield that fact from the world.
- For the first time during the conversation, he's beginning to sound a little irate.
- Such is the regard in which he's held that there are sure to be lengthy queues.
- Now I think he's saying that the only criteria for punishment should be how bad the crime was.
- I'm very proud of him for how he's progressing, proud to tell people that he's my son.
- He's a plumber and he's fixing the toilets and not in a Village People tribute act.
- If he's not the man who wrote the plays you're going to know it in five minutes.
- He gets up from his desk for the first time, to escort me from the building, and he's about six foot six.
- Asked what his best goal tally for a season is and he says he's never completed an entire campaign.
- Now he's been learning to drive and picking up other new skills on the shopfloor.
- Now John Martyn is so madly in love again he's recorded a new album to prove it.
- I think he's had one or two offers and one or two clubs have asked me about him.
- You cannot really question a coach when he's only been there four or five weeks.
- Whatever Rael is, if he's to be believed, he's just ushered in a new era for mankind.
- It works for him not because he's embraced it, but because his candidacy brings it alive.
- For somebody with a name and a reputation, it was a gamble to come here and give it everything he's got.
- Soon he's set into motion a series of devious plans to bump the orphans off and claim their fortune.
- All the boys on the pitch today think he's given them their start in this team.
- He says he's become tired of Scottish newspapers sniping at each other in the media pages.
- He's in the spotlight and all he can do is do what he's always done and play to his audience that think like him.
- I've only known him a few months, but in that one action he's leapt way up in my estimation.
- In the meantime, he's even managed to alienate some of his old mates from advertising.
- I'm hoping that once he's had a rest and time to recharge that his blog will be resurrected.
- Nobody knows the sorrow he's seen and it's all there to hear in his sad, sad voice.
- One of them wants to be a writer and thinks he's got a good screenplay in him.
- Tucci was eager to play the lively comic role that is a departure from anything he's done before.
- Solomon was next seen in Dale and then Haverfordwest where he's been for about two weeks.
- Only a masochist or a Scotsman keeps turning the pages simply because he's paid for them.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.