In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nobody is too concerned that a Hollywood heart-throb is playing someone who in real life was barely 5ft tall and looked haggardly middle-aged when he was barely out of his teens.
- He was the original Hollywood heart-throb, a star with good looks and a long list of lovers.
- Yet in a beautifully tailored blue suit, this is recognisably the man who was one of the big screen's leading heart-throbs.
- Come Saturday, the public are expected to vote in their squillions for one of the two heart-throbs.
- The heart-throb's reluctance to commit to marriage plans can't have helped matters, recently revealing he doesn't believe he has any ‘moral obligation’ to settle down and have a family.
- For a spell in the early 1970s he was one of the world's biggest heart-throbs, but then it went depressingly wrong.
- The ‘Vietnam film’ corner - bullet casings, camouflage nets - sits among full size cut-outs of obscure Hungarian heart-throbs.
- Most actors would be pleased enough - no, absolutely thrilled - to be cast as a heart-throb in one of the biggest trilogies in cinema history.
- So how does a loving father tell two pre-teen girls they'll be meeting a quartet of British heart-throbs?
- Female jaws hit the floor, and a heart-throb was born.
- Julie's love for the snake-hipped heart-throb began when she was just six-years-old and watched all of his film with her nan.
- In his imagination, he is a Hollywood film star and romantic heart-throb, in reality he's a pathetic third rate cabaret act.
- ‘And now at seventeen, I'm a heart-throb, sex symbol, and plastered all over every girl's wall,’ Osamu said with disgust.
- A handful of dedicated fans arrived at the Trafford Centre the night before to make sure they were at the front of the queue to see their heart-throbs.
- The 20-year-old actress is thrilled to be starring alongside the English heart-throb, whose rough and ready look is perfect for the country squire..
- Kay's calendar was the bestseller of the festive season at entertainment chain store HMV, outselling the more established beauties and heart-throbs by a large margin.
- Henderson has the kind of looks - and talent - that would earn him a place as a heart-throb in a minor soap, but he's obviously not a leading man.
- Although some have worked extensively in front of the cameras, none is handsome or beautiful enough to be chosen to play the heart-throb, nor quirky enough to be the wisecracking best-friend, nor ugly enough to be the gargoyle.
- To the women on Teesside he was a heart-throb, a pin-up, while the men of Middlesbrough admired him from the outset for his passion, the hunger with which he played, even his recklessness.
- The former Wimbledon champion, heart-throb, wannabe rock star and the man who made the first ascent through the crowd on Centre Court, is the most astonishing interviewee I have encountered: he is both delightful and quite terrifying.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.