In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Put the herbs and milk into a small heatproof pan and heat almost to boiling.
- Using a wooden spoon or heatproof spatula, scrape off any mushroom bits that have stuck.
- Heat half the butter in a 30 cm frying pan with a heatproof handle.
- Place in a heatproof casserole dish; add about quarter-inch water.
- Heat the oil in a large heatproof casserole pan and fry the sausage until browned.
- Place in a heatproof cooking bag and add the port, veal stock, onion, and cinnamon sticks.
- Place on a heatproof plate in the bottom of a large saucepan.
- Tip the layer of oil from the roasting tin into a heatproof jug - you can use it for roasting potatoes another day.
- So you'd better be heatproof or just plain quick if you're collecting data from the surface of this forsaken place.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients except oil in a heatproof bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl suspended over a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Put the kipper fillets in a jug or heatproof bowl and pour a kettle of boiling water over them.
- Drain this off two or three times into a heatproof bowl, basting the fat over the breasts at the same time.
- They are wax-based, so they are naturally more water-resistant and heatproof.
- Combine the apricots and the baking soda in a heatproof bowl.
- Mix half the liquid ingredients together and spoon over a heatproof plate that will take the whole fish and fit in a large steamer.
- Arrange three roasted figs on a heatproof plate and drizzle the tops with roasted fig juice.
- Using a heatproof spatula, put them on a plate and cook the remaining slices in the same way.
- Wash jars and lids in a dishwasher and while still hot put on a heatproof tray into an oven at 120C for 15-20 minutes.
- The cloak was cool, but that didn't mean it was heatproof.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.