In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1heck! — ¡caray! informal dated euphemistic
- what the heck! — ¡qué diablos!
- heck, no! — ¡ni hablar!
- to heck with waiting, I'm leaving — ¡qué esperar ni (que) niño muerto! yo me voy
- what/where/how the heck … ? — ¿qué/dónde/cómo diablos … ?
- I've one heck of a lot to do — tengo un montón de cosas que hacer
- this is one heck of a time to call me — ¡vaya horas de llamar!
- she's one heck of a girl — es una chica fenomenal
- like / the heck he did! — ¡y un cuerno que lo hizo!
- he did it on his own — did he heck! — lo hizo solo — ¡qué lo va a hacer solo! / ¡y un cuerno!
- I wish to heck they'd shut up! — ¡por qué no se callarán de una puñetera vez!
- Don's family always remembers my birthday - heck, his mom even sends me a check each year.
- Because in the final analysis the political is political and the truth of the matter is the personal should stay the heck out of it.
- Flippin heck, this is in another class altogether.
- Dex looked at me and gave a freaked out smile as to say where the heck did that question come from after one creepy long stare?
- I'm sure I'm making more of this than the event was worth but, heck, that's what weblogs are for.
- Yes, its not so original, but heck, I am sure you can relate to it.
- The only question was, what the heck was she supposed to do about it?
- I looked at my parents questionably and wondered what the heck they could've been talking about.
- He didn't really think they were ugly, but why the heck did she ask a question like that?
- I surprised my parents, heck I even surprised Mrs. Morgan, the old lady next door.
- Which begs the question: where the heck was Miller the first four weeks of the season?
- I can remember my mother going out in a see-through top 10 days after my sister was born and I thought, blinking heck.
- So, it may not be fruitful to do something like that, but heck, I'd try it.
- All that was going through my mind was a question asking what the heck he was doing.
- But it mattered not, because wherever the heck we were, the place contained a charity shop!
- So the real question may be why the heck are we using corks to seal wine bottles anyway?
- Oh heck, it could even be a combination of all the reasons.
- I was going to quote only a part of it, but heck, it's all relevant so here it is.
- But heck, I couldn't image pressing the 90 lb that I now do, a couple of years ago.
- It shouldn't have taken mother that long to cook dinner, no matter what the heck she wanted to stick down my throat.
- At Swedish weddings, the custom is to toast the bride, groom, bridesmaids and, well heck, anyone else who catches your eye, with schnapps.
- That's one heck of a fat lip.
- But heck, it's fun, and if you've seen the movie, then you'd probably be interested in taking the test, too.
- Flipping heck, dash it, and crumbs - I think I'm becoming a potty mouth.
- So, my question is: does that columnist know what the heck he is talking about?
- OK, so we know it's bad to sunbathe, we have read about the damage to our skin, but heck, as soon as the sun shines it's out with the deck chair and face in full rays.
- It worked almost too well, resistance was indeed futile, but heck, they probably could've swore at me and the results would have been similar.
- One question remains to this day: what the heck was Hawk doing during those 10 years?
- I'm sure many of these places could find new life - heck, I'd happily take a few over, renovate and re-use!
- That seems like a heck of a lot of money to sit on your butt all day.
- But heck, most women just buy them in quantity because they're gorgeous.
- I'm not sure the neighbours were too impressed, but heck - I was worshipping!
- Just one question though - why the heck do they photoshop these girls so much?
- Jen mentions Jason's big question - how the heck do bloggers have the time to write so much stuff?
- She was just about to ask why the heck it should matter to him, when a scream of pain came from behind her.
- The question ruminating in my mind was: How the heck did they get all this?
- Which brings up the inevitable question: What the heck has Bob been doing?
- This was going to be one heck of a frustrating experience for the both of them.
- The temptation to take a train to Stockholm… heck, even to Zagreb just seemed fascinating to me.
- He's funny, sexy as hell, a heck of a nice guy, unmarried, good values, yadda yadda.
- The question to ask is: What the heck does this have to do with being a glorified catalog retailer?
- And who the heck was this beautiful, poisonous woman, for that matter?
- It's not an easy book, but, heck, there are plenty of easy books around.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.