In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1seto masculineseto verde masculineseto vivo masculine
- The 90 acres of grassland, bordered by hawthorn hedgerows, is home to hundreds of plants, birds and insects.
- It will gobble up your fields and hedgerows, your trees and wildlife habitats.
- Separating the large fields are hedgerows of native and nonnative woody plants.
- A mix of several types of shrubs in a hedgerow is more effective than using one type of plant for the entire hedge.
- It is an important arable weed, commonly found in hedgerows, and mature plants often use upright species for support.
- These items can become stuck on trees or in hedgerows and cause a blight on the landscape.
- The camouflage is even better if we ride close to hedgerows and trees.
- Most of the trees, hawthorn hedgerows and open meadowland will cease to exist.
- Here the fields are relatively small and are divided by hedgerows made up of a dozen or more native plant species.
- The private patio at the side of the house is a suntrap, surrounded by shrubs and hedgerows.
- The special job on this belly-busting operation is to thin seedlings and new shrubs in the hedgerows.
- Tall trees within hedgerows are used by birds as song posts, nest sites and vantage points.
- Wherever possible, build the stacks of bales on a sandy base well away from hedgerows and trees.
- The morning is spent gathering food which grows wild in fields, hedgerows and on the seashore.
- The entire site is screened by good-sized trees and hedgerows, giving shelter.
- Does anyone plan to plant trees as a hedgerow to block the wind?
- Most of the trees survive mainly in hedgerows and near rivers and ponds.
- Permanent pastures have shrunk, wild flowers have been killed by pesticides and hedgerows have disappeared.
- However, it did manage to spread to a neighbouring hedgerow and stubble field.
- Work would also be carried out to strengthen existing hedgerows by additional tree planting, and further footpaths would be built.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.