In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1seto masculineseto verde masculineseto vivo masculine
- Permanent pastures have shrunk, wild flowers have been killed by pesticides and hedgerows have disappeared.
- Wherever possible, build the stacks of bales on a sandy base well away from hedgerows and trees.
- Most of the trees survive mainly in hedgerows and near rivers and ponds.
- The special job on this belly-busting operation is to thin seedlings and new shrubs in the hedgerows.
- Separating the large fields are hedgerows of native and nonnative woody plants.
- Tall trees within hedgerows are used by birds as song posts, nest sites and vantage points.
- The 90 acres of grassland, bordered by hawthorn hedgerows, is home to hundreds of plants, birds and insects.
- Work would also be carried out to strengthen existing hedgerows by additional tree planting, and further footpaths would be built.
- These items can become stuck on trees or in hedgerows and cause a blight on the landscape.
- The morning is spent gathering food which grows wild in fields, hedgerows and on the seashore.
- A mix of several types of shrubs in a hedgerow is more effective than using one type of plant for the entire hedge.
- It will gobble up your fields and hedgerows, your trees and wildlife habitats.
- Here the fields are relatively small and are divided by hedgerows made up of a dozen or more native plant species.
- The entire site is screened by good-sized trees and hedgerows, giving shelter.
- Does anyone plan to plant trees as a hedgerow to block the wind?
- It is an important arable weed, commonly found in hedgerows, and mature plants often use upright species for support.
- The private patio at the side of the house is a suntrap, surrounded by shrubs and hedgerows.
- Most of the trees, hawthorn hedgerows and open meadowland will cease to exist.
- However, it did manage to spread to a neighbouring hedgerow and stubble field.
- The camouflage is even better if we ride close to hedgerows and trees.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.