In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is not a battle for territorial domination, ideological supremacy or economic hegemony.
- It has been a strong supporter of United States hegemony, and therefore also of the NATO alliance.
- Yet, while imperialism has generally withered, other forms of domination or hegemony have arisen.
- The almighty dollar, which at one time served as a tool of hegemony, is not as viable a tool at present.
- In its early years it was seen by the Soviet Union as an instrument of Western hegemony.
- It is striking how exactly this coincided with the end of the world hegemony of British imperialism.
- The ruling classes in Europe and Japan are far less willing to accept US hegemony.
- For Marxists, US hegemony was a specific phase of capitalist expansion in the post-war era.
- It has no basis in anything other than the social reality its hegemony constructs.
- In the power politics of this struggle for hegemony, the new cold war is not much different from the old cold war.
- In the east, the seventh-century crisis similarly undermined aristocratic hegemony.
- Driven by its economic crisis, it is attempting to reorganise the globe under its hegemony.
- At a cultural level, there are signs that the bourgeois hegemony is being challenged by our taste for the tasteless.
- The problem for the ruling class is how to reassert such hegemony.
- US military hegemony is no longer underwritten by equivalent global economic supremacy.
- Will Europe ever get a clue, or will they just kowtow to U.S. hegemony?
- On the military level, it is much more difficult for Europe to challenge American hegemony.
- Under this strategy they are going to bring the whole world under their hegemony.
- American hegemony in defence will, however, remain unchallenged for as long ahead as can be contemplated.
- Nevertheless its defeat was a massive blow to US hegemony in the region.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.