In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The lush, fragrant flowers of the heliotrope range from dark violet to white in color.
- Surround a garden bench with heliotrope or aromatic foliage plants like scented geraniums.
- Cooling fountains mask traffic noise, while hummingbirds and butterflies explore the charms of tuberoses, heliotrope, and other plants chosen for their sensual appeal.
- She inhaled the scents of dust, orange oil, and the perfume the heliotropes sent throughout the room.
- A member of the borage family, common heliotrope is one of about 250 Heliotropium species, but it is the only one widely grown in gardens.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.