In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Johnny and the Poorboys are Keighley's popular hellraisers of Irish, country and rock ‘n’ roll music.
- Here's a quick recap of the most celebrated male hellraisers of recent years.
- Last year, Waylon Jennings, former hellraiser and founder of the 70s country outlaw movement, took him aside for a quiet word about his recreational habits.
- A notorious boozer and hellraiser, the guy is particularly well known for persuading his endless series of one-nighters to ‘slip into something comfortable.’
- His off-field sins, such as they are, are prosaic by the standards of a born hellraiser - typical teenage stuff.
- Meanwhile, it has emerged that wild rocker Pete may have a reputation as a hellraiser these days but was a teacher's pet at school.
- His reputation as a hellraiser and a big drinker was coming to dominate and even overshadow his work.
- Yet another chapter has been opened in the life of Pete Townshend, whose past as a hellraiser has seen him struggle with addiction to drink and drugs.
- His obituaries rightly said a hole has been left in the Commons, that he was a first-class hellraiser and an incomparable character.
- The former hellraiser, who claims to have been clean for two years, said he realised he was in trouble when he stopped for a ‘disgusting’ burger, after a 48 hour binge, and was convinced he would die of a heart attack..
- The Oscar-winning actor became firm friends with the Irish hellraiser after they began working together on the big-screen version of ‘Miami Vice’.
- AC/DC, MC5 and the Dead Kennedys are all standard texts for guitar-toting hellraisers.
- The Hollywood hellraiser was said to be furious over the arrest and was heard telling police: ‘This is bullsh * t!’
- A fearless hellraiser, he died in 1977 in a skiing accident in Switzerland.
- Chapman couldn't help but notice that the brothers were remarkably well-behaved, contrary to their reputation for being rock 'n' roll hellraisers.
- New Zealand's greatest comic actor, Brian Sergent, is about to take on the character of the legendary Brian Bell - a hellraiser, possibly a genius, kindly fellow and terrible old bastard who was ‘in a class of his own’.
- The grizzled hellraiser wants a share of the merchandising profits instead of a flat fee, presumably to spend on more booze.
- Hunter S. Thompson was a consummate hellraiser and we loved him for it.
- While my friends insist that I should be dating sophisticated thirty-something women with the aim of settling down, I find myself attracted to wild, volatile hellraisers.
- A former drug addict and reformed hellraiser, he's on the comeback trail with a sickly song that gradually starts to work its way up the charts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.