In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Tony has a good article on hellebores - he's always worth reading!
- While few perennials are doing anything significant when the hellebores bloom in late winter and early spring, flower combinations can be easily made with some early bulbs.
- It has been my experience that hellebores do not make good long term pot plants; it's best to get them in the ground as quickly as you can once they are of a size to handle the rough and tumble world of the garden.
- Enjoy early hellebore flowers by floating flowerheads in a shallow bowl of water.
- Be very cautious about growing poisonous plants, like castor bean or hellebore, in readily accessible areas.
- Ensure that you prepare a good planting site by incorporating compost into the soil before you plant, as hellebores enjoy a moist soil rather than one that dries out quickly.
- Chocolate cosmos, black hollyhocks, and shadowy hellebores are planted toward the front of borders or in front of contrasting colors so that the dark colors don't recede in the garden like a black hole.
- Look for winter-flowering hellebores in garden centres.
- This seems to me like it would be a difficult color range to achieve, considering the amount of blue in most hellebore flowers.
- I followed his advice - and now, ten years later that hellebore is a fine, strong plant that is blooming as I type this.
- It's no surprise that in a recent worldwide poll commissioned by the Hardy Plant Society, hellebores were voted second favourite flower family.
- The hellebores are still green, and there are buds forming under the slightly tattered foliage.
- Members were transported to Switzerland, Greece, the Falklands, and France to see gardens and plants in all their glory and were given an insight into some of the hellebores that can be grown in the UK.
- Recently, however, I've gotten well and truly hooked on hellebores.
- All hellebores flower in winter or early spring from buds formed during the previous summer.
- A natural glen is planted with an assortment of shade-loving plants, including hellebores, ferns, fuchsias, azaleas and primroses.
- The cottage style garden in the Adelaide Hills features a collection of hellebores in a range of colours as well as bulbs and winter flowering shrubs like Magnolia.
- As well as carpets of snowdrops in the five-acre garden, there are hellebores and other winter flowering plants to admire.
- The same author comments that quail were not eaten much in classical times, apparently because they were thought to be unwholesome because of eating poisonous plants such as hellebore.
- Spring bulbs were much in evidence, as were hellebores.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.