In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1el fuego eternoel fuego del infierno
- For the record, I was raised in a Christian home and both of my parents were ordained hellfire and brimstone ministers.
- Often, to stress the moral as well as legal rectitude of the proceedings, a minister would go round when the notices were read out in English to threaten the people with hellfire in Gaelic if they showed any disobedience.
- The original readers of the New England Primer began their studies with the prospect of heaven ahead and hellfire behind and on both sides.
- The pastor wags his finger at me in hellfire preaching mode.
- I decided that I might as well go down in a blaze of flames and hellfire if they can't read past my personal sentiments to try to understand my point of view.
- And he preached anticommunist hellfire as well as anyone else on the circuit.
- Everything changes with the arrival of a reactionary Scots missionary preaching hellfire and damnation.
- Our worldview has been dictated to us by our parents, grandparents, teachers, priests, ministers and rabbis and enforced under penalty of hellfire.
- These sermons are not delivered in the old language of hellfire and damnation.
- The fear of hellfire, coupled with the anger this concept inspired, motivated those hateful acts.
- He plunged into his next project after watching a TV evangelist hurling threats of hellfire.
- Fantasising about being a saint in the city and obsessing on the prospect of eternal hellfire, Charlie realises he must atone for his sins.
- A hellfire preacher wearing desert-style camouflage fatigues was holding forth from a stage ringed in sand bags.
- The power of the Puritan clergy was maintained by their terrifying hellfire sermons.
- Personally, I was surprised that this film even received a G rating with all the talk of hellfire and damnation going around.
- They were a deep, piercing red, the color of hellfire.
- Though it was night and darkness had fallen, she could still make out one building, blazing like hellfire.
- It's always possible to posit ‘optimism’ up until the point when the whole place actually erupts spontaneously into hellfire.
- We should not have had to threaten these responsible bodies with hellfire and brimstone before the conditions were improved.
- Just the name ‘Magic Boy’ conjures up images of a powerful young sorcerer who can raise the dead and rain hellfire down on his enemies.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.