In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Combat-equipped soldiers and police wearing helmets and flak jackets are going door to door in the city to enforce a mandatory evacuation at the point of a gun.
- Baseball helmets routinely protect players who are hit in the head at speeds that are roughly similar to a slap shot.
- Armed police with their distinctive navy blue bullet-proof vests and protective helmets joined other officers for regular briefings in their mobile office van.
- The only equipment protecting you is a motorcycle helmet and a leather body suit.
- She stares longingly at the thick black uniforms and hard helmets hanging up in the machine bay.
- This stuff is still dangerous, even with all the troops wearing helmets, goggles and protective vests.
- Cyclists and motorcyclists should always wear a protective helmet and long sleeves.
- You could wear a cowboy hat, a bowl on your head, a straw hat, a sports helmet, or a rain hat.
- One of the main problems the NFL has is since the players wear helmets, the athletes aren't very recognizable outside of their uniforms.
- Armed with protective vests, steel helmets and guns, a group of Indian and Bangladeshi wildlife experts are tracking the magnificent but endangered Royal Bengal Tiger.
- The players must be under 14 years old and must wear helmets and other protective gear.
- Skateboarders rarely use protective equipment such as helmets and wrist guards.
- The adjustable hood fits over helmets and hats and won't hinder your vision while you're out and about.
- Some wearing protective visored helmets, they gained the element of surprise by running down an alleyway towards the back of the block.
- Some hard hats and helmets have a face shield attached to them.
- The boom was loud enough to make my ears ring, even through the protective mufflers of the helmet.
- Paco looks up and sees several uniformed police officers wearing helmets and body armor, pointing pistols and shotguns.
- Col Black said the soldiers would have been wearing helmets or berets, not floppy hats as in the photographs.
- He wore a one-piece motorcycle suit and a helmet with a blacked-out visor.
- The wind beat hard at their helmets and clothes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.