In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(incapacitated)the accident left him a helpless invalid — el accidente lo dejó totalmente imposibilitado
- to leave/render sb helpless — dejar a algn sin recursos
- I'm helpless without my glasses — sin los anteojos no puedo hacer nada
- helpless with laughter — muerto de risa
- he's helpless in a crisis — en situaciones críticas es totalmente inútil / no sirve para nada
2(defenseless)(victim/prey) indefensohe looked so poor and helpless — parecía tan pobre y desamparado / desvalido
- as helpless as a baby/kitten — tan indefenso como un bebé/un gatito
- He awoke terrified and helpless in a hospital bed, covered in bandages and unable to move his legs.
- Have a heart and spare a thought for the defenceless, helpless victims and their families.
- Being with Lydie when she was so weak and helpless caused Jamie to become distressed.
- Only at the end of the book does he admit that he feels at home among the most vulnerable and helpless people.
- He feels helpless and powerless to do anything to change things for the better.
- I felt frustrated and helpless and just wanted to see if there was anything I could do.
- I am left to watch and feel desperate if not helpless in this small world in which I am unable to do more than pray.
- They are on the receiving end, or on the sidelines, feeling helpless and vulnerable.
- In the face of such irresistible destruction, we all feel weak and helpless.
- An American soldier had been murdered right in front of him, and he was helpless to do anything about it.
- I am a police captain and feel totally helpless as I am unable to help my city and my family.
- Nonetheless, I wanted her to know that she is not at all helpless and vulnerable.
- I was helpless to do anything but pray to God for her salvation.
- Why do we decide it is none of our business or that we are helpless to do anything about it?
- He felt helpless because he could not do anything to save innocent lives and bring succour to them.
- Is there anything worse than watching someone you love have to suffer while you're helpless to do anything to help?
- A person, a society and a country which is weak and helpless has no choice but to resort to violence.
- He was very old, but she could tell by watching him walk that he was in no way helpless or weak.
- Yet humanists should have the capability to defend the rights of the most helpless members of society.
- Don't overprotect your child - it may only make him feel more vulnerable and helpless.
3(powerless)(expression/look) de impotenciato be helpless to + inf — ser incapaz de + inf
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.