In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(run/rush) atropelladamente(run/rush) a la desbandada
- And any reader who had imagined that her helter-skelter style was actually the product of careful contrivance will here be disabused.
- I smiled to myself as the wind blew tossing the leaves helter-skelter and making them dance like ballerinas, minus the tutus.
- Our minds don't work in a straight line, but rather more like a pinball machine, bouncing ideas off one another helter-skelter.
- Giggling, his friend Brent ran helter-skelter beside him.
- It's a helter-skelter ride and you can reach speeds of more than 10 knots in the process.
- We can not simply go out, helter-skelter, and try to transform the biosphere, transform this planet, without knowing what we're doing.
- Tell them that you feel friendship is undervalued in this helter-skelter crazy materialistic world.
- Efforts to vaccinate the nation's children went forward immediately, in somewhat helter-skelter fashion, to beat the summer onset of the disease.
- The stunningly modern helter-skelter overpasses seem rather incongruous with a melange of bikes and cars that follow a system of road safety entirely their own.
- A helter-skelter mix of documentary and music video, the film contextualises Vivaldi's life through The Four Seasons, the most recorded and popular classical music ever written.
- Vehicles coming in the gates are checked for bombs, and white U.N. vehicles, mostly Toyota 4Runners, are parked helter-skelter around a dirt lot.
- Inevitably you pay a price for treating the novel as helter-skelter melodrama.
- He also noticed rumpled clothing all over the floor, and a number of ripped plastic packages lying helter-skelter on the carpet.
- The game continued at a helter-skelter pace, amid which Phil Vickery emerged from the replacements' bench to the loudest cheer of the afternoon.
- Fans will face the usual scraping and scrimping and helter-skelter hunting for tickets.
- Just when you think that there is nothing that can surprise you any more in the crazy helter-skelter world that is Scottish football, along comes an event which makes your jaw drop.
- Approaching this year's jamboree in Gloucestershire, he is riding better than ever at 34, having put the brakes on a helter-skelter lifestyle.
- Science seems to offer him a point from which to view the helter-skelter human sagas created by the phantasms of mind and emotion.
- At times in this hectic, helter-skelter world, an unpretentious reminder of the obvious is in order, and Dick and Larry have done it here.
- Fellini's tale of a middle-aged woman sloughing off her inhibitions is a caprice of a piece, a helter-skelter slide through the stages of abandon.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.