In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The heretics Marcion and Valentinus believed that God was androgynous.
- Care needs to be taken to distinguish between teachers that are misguided and those that are rank heretics who have rejected the faith.
- Consequently those who came to believe that orthodox teaching was inadequate or wrong risked being declared heretics.
- Galileo was forced to repudiate his scientific knowledge lest he be declared a heretic by the official church.
- They sought regeneration - a regeneration we can liken to that of the medieval heretic or saint.
- That was when people began to rebel against their unfair practises and that was when the Priests began condemning people to death, claiming they were heretics and rebels.
- It clearly would cover any incitement of hatred by the religious against its heretics, apostates, or members of other faiths.
- Can those of you who believe that pagans, Jews, heretics and schismatics can share in eternal life explain how you interpret this?
- I think about Galileo dropping differently weighted things from the tower, only to be branded a heretic.
- The new religions exalt secular saints, enforce dogma, punish heretics, value self-sacrifice, and sanctify writings.
- We went to a Catholic school; yet we were known to the nuns to be the children of heretics who had rejected the Pope's rulings.
- The Hussites, on the other hand, who broke away from the Holy Roman Empire in both political and religious senses, were heretics.
- If the term ‘Christian’ is taken to include heretics, schismatics, and baptized apostates, it would still appear that most are damned.
- Any uprisings caused by religious heretics could bring pain and suffering to the whole Jewish population.
- With the exception of Pangloss, the three other heretics are burned at the stake.
- He was also an ardent heretic and freethinker, maybe an out-and-out atheist, and a vocal defender of the ideas of Charles Darwin.
- Persecuting witches or merely criticizing nonbelievers (as infidels, heretics, pagans, or gentiles) can unite the Faithful.
- Predictably, those trying to be midwives to these new theologies (note the plural) are being criticized as heretics, unorthodox, disturbers of the peace, etc.
- Declared a heretic by the Pope he was banished from Rome and subsequently vanished, presumed murdered.
- I am English, born in Britain, but I am referred to as a heretic, unbeliever, infidel, etc., because I am a Pagan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.